How Do I Place Jack Stands?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1998Expo2WD

Reaction score
I'm going to do a Suspension Conversion as described here. I've never placed Jack Stands on a vehicle, just a quick tire change. I'm using the jack the car came with, and buying 3 ton Jack Stands from Harbor Freight. I'll be turning off the Air Suspension prior to lifting/jacking.

While working on the rear, do I need to place Jack Stands on both the driver's side and passenger's side? Same question for the front.

Can I lift and place Jack Stands anywhere on the side frame here? One side at a time?

Stand1.jpg

What about the rear tow hitch area?

stand2.jpg

Do I just pop off the cover of the tire to get to the bolts?

Tire1.jpg

Do I need to pry off this metal part too (the cover here popped off a few years ago)?

Tire2.jpg

MrXLT

Reaction score
I would place jack and jackstands under the frame in your first pic. As for both sides at the same time it's according to what kind of work you're doing so I can't answer that. I don't like getting under vehicles myself so when possible I only raise one side at a time. That first pic looks like a good spot to me.

Don't put them under that tow hitch in the 2nd pic! It's made for towing, not supporting the weight of the vehicle. Just my humble .02.

Also, I don't know anything about those hubcaps. I just bought my 98 Expy and still getting to know it. My driver's side cap is actually missing and it doesn't have that...thing....being pictured. Wouldn't know what to do with that myself.

Edit: Also, I'd place them more to the right half of that rectangle in the first pic so the lift is focused more on the rear of the vehicle instead of middle. That would start raising the front which if you're working on the back only, don't need.

Habbibie

Is it Christmas yet?
Reaction score
you're doing a whole suspension upgrade yet you've never used Jack stands.... Well then buddy you have a LONGGGGGG ways to go, the location of the placement of stands is the least of your problems, hell its not even considered an issue to many

Good luck man, you'll need it.

Reaction score
Just have someone else do it for you to avoid any injuries.

Hogwash! There is no better way of learning than to do it yourself. Do your research and enlist the help of someone with enough experience to aid you in safety. Every person posting here (and anywhere else) started out with little to no knowledge at some point. You are doing the absolute best thing you can when starting off...asking questions! Someone else may have the same question as you, so posting it online allows others to benefit as well.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Kids, always put the wheel you remove under the frame in case you mess up and the vehicle falls of the stand.

Russell Lewis

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Frame is the best/strongest holding point unless you need room under the rear ended than under axles at spring perch or shock bolt

Last edited:

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Frame is the best/strongest holding point unless you need room under the rear ended than under axles at spring perch or shock bolt

Thats for unibody cars.

With body on frame trucks theres always room somewhere on the frame

Habbibie

Is it Christmas yet?
Reaction score
Guys this thread is 9 months old! The OP isn't even active anymore