How much are you towing? Looking at a new TT...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

johnboneske

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The wife and I are looking at a new Keystone Outback 293ubh Ultra Lite Travel trailer. Its 5850 dry, and has a GVWR of 7600. My Expy has the tow package and is rated to pull 8990 with weight distribution. I also have an Equalizer E4 hitch and Prodigy brake controller...

What are you guys towing?

1997SCEBFEX

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Recommend any additional gear etc. be as far forward in TT as possible to help with your weight distribution and "bobble" even w/a WD hitch. I also added the roof wing, and nosecone airfoil to help move that big rectangular blob.

View media item 1185
Featherlite 28' @ 4000#, '96 Vette, motorcycle, potted plants etc. View media item 1172

Tim Fuller

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just took the maiden voyage with my Rockwood Roo 233S taking it out of storage (had a different tow vehicle when it went in) GVWR Of 6200(?) and aside from bounce it was barely noticeable. I didn't have family or gear but I'm very excited to load it up.

mdjeterva

Reaction score
Remember it's not just weight, most travel trailers have a huge frontal area roughly the equivalent of 2 sheets of plywood.
I'm pulling a Salem 26' with a 2005 and factory tow package with 3.73 rear. Mine weighs about the same as yours and with the WD hitch it pulls ok, but it's about all I want to pull with an Expedition. If you haven't bought the other camper yet, take a look at a Trailmanor, one of my friends pulls a Trailmanor 3124KB with his 2006 Exp and the difference is remarkable. Plan on a larger transmission cooler and C load range tires if you are going to tow a lot. Check your brakes, and buy the best pads you can get.

OP
OP
johnboneske

johnboneske

Full Access Members
Reaction score
We ended up getting the trailer and brought it home last weekend. I wouldnt want any more trailer for my Expy though. It was faily windy, and it towed fine around 55 or 60. Wouldnt want to try for any more speed... I got my Equalizer E4 and Prodigy controller...

shane_th_ee

Full Access Members
Reaction score
On Saturday, I put our (new-to-us) Creekside 18CK behind the new Expedition for the first time. As it's new-to-us, it was pretty much unloaded, although we do have batteries and propane. Spec "dry weight" is ~4100lbs with GVWR of 6000lbs, but the sticker on the side shows a GVWR of 1100lbs and a GVWR of 6000lbs, so I'm not sure what the actual weight is. Once I get it set up and loaded, I plan to haul it down to a scale to get real numbers.

I'm using Ford's ITB and whatever Eaz-lift WDH the previous owner threw in when we bought it...

OP
OP
johnboneske

johnboneske

Full Access Members
Reaction score
A GVWR of 6000 on a new Expedition, I bet you will hardly notice the trailer...

shane_th_ee

Full Access Members
Reaction score
A GVWR of 6000 on a new Expedition, I bet you will hardly notice the trailer...
Except for the tongue weight. It's listed as 500lbs dry weight and has a 60gal fresh water tank just inside the front wall (and 2 30lb propane tanks and 2 batteries). I'm expecting I'm going to be very close to to the max 930lbs WDH tongue weight, even if it is only 6000lbs.
The positive is that I checked the part number on the WDH this morning and it does appear to be the 1200lb version.

OP
OP
johnboneske

johnboneske

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Except for the tongue weight. It's listed as 500lbs dry weight and has a 60gal fresh water tank just inside the front wall (and 2 30lb propane tanks and 2 batteries). I'm expecting I'm going to be very close to to the max 930lbs WDH tongue weight, even if it is only 6000lbs.
The positive is that I checked the part number on the WDH this morning and it does appear to be the 1200lb version.

I would agree only partially. Yes, its close to the lounge weight within reason... You are using a WD hitch so that helps a lot, so it won't be as much as you think since some get a distributed to the front wheels and some stays with the trailer... Your trailer has a 6000lb GVWR, so in all aspects your fine... My trailer has a 7600lb GVWR, and am on top of my tounge weight, but still tows perfect when having the hitch setup properly...

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
geovanni