How much better is the 18 vs 17.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

shell waster

Reaction score
We bought a 17 Platinum EL in September and got a very good deal (big rebate plus employee dicsount). We knew about the changes but what sealed the deal was the ridiculous high trade we got. We love it, what a great ride, nice standard tow package too. We get 17 mpg. So comparing the 3rd gen to 4th what are the big pluses...thinking of adding a new one in 3 years. How does the 10 speed trans shift, towing etc. Thanks

edizzle

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It is going from a platform that is 10 years old to a brand new 2018!!!!! I’d say there are some significant upgrades!

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It is going from a platform that is 10 years old to a brand new 2018!!!!! I’d say there are some significant upgrades!

Actually our trucks are based on the 2003 platform..... 14 year run. That speaks a lot to their quality. As with anything we must forge onward

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The biggest upgrade is the interior packaging, the room and ease of use in the 18 blows away the room and usability in the 17. It feels less ponderous asit leans less and feels muuch tighter around turns. Its also has a more connected feel than the 17. I do feel like the std sys in the 17 had a more cushy feel, the std sus on the 18s are very firm, but the ccd in the 18 works better from wat most ppl review. By time your intetested, these trucks will most likely have gone through a mid cycle refresh and will be better still.

rcompart

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We had a 2014 and a 2017 before our new 2018. The EcoBoost and Sync3 in the 2017 were the only really substantial improvements over the 2014 and they did the EcoBoost no favors by keeping the 6R80 transmission. Overall, it was an incremental upgrade, like going from a Motel 6 to a Holiday Inn. The 2017 to 2018 on the other hand has a list of improvements and upgrades that go on for days and has been like going from a Holiday Inn to a Hilton.

shane_th_ee

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Adding a new one? As in you would own two Expeditions? Can I ask why? I'm trying to imagine a use case in which two Expeditions is a better choice than one expedition and one minivan or one expedition and one F-150/F-250. Maybe if one lived in some remote desert compound with 2 or three wives and 8-10 kids...

rcompart

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We only have our 2018 Expy, one wife and currently two children with more to come. LOL

We purposely purchased our 2017 back in May of last year, for the same reasons we purchased our 2014 in August of 2014. Both were an established platform with a couple years in their current revisions and a new model or refresh was coming out so the dealers were happy to get the old ones off the lot to make room for the new ones. The assumption with our 2017 was that like our 2014, all the kinks would be worked out and we could do the same with a 2020 Expy in a couple years but we had a couple very significant issues with it that we were unable to get resolved after a multitude of trips to the dealer and in the end, we decided to trade the 2017 in. It wasn’t an issue with the 3rd gen being a bad vehicle as our 2014 provided us with a perfect ownership experience. It was just that the particular vehicle we purchased was a doozy. God laughs at the best laid plans.

J Ski

3.5plati
Reaction score
We bought a 17 Platinum EL in September and got a very good deal (big rebate plus employee dicsount). We knew about the changes but what sealed the deal was the ridiculous high trade we got. We love it, what a great ride, nice standard tow package too. We get 17 mpg. So comparing the 3rd gen to 4th what are the big pluses...thinking of adding a new one in 3 years. How does the 10 speed trans shift, towing etc. Thanks
Stick with the 17. Get the 18 if you want to be joked about driving a Ford minivan bc that’s all it really is.

shane_th_ee

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Stick with the 17. Get the 18 if you want to be joked about driving a Ford minivan bc that’s all it really is.
Can you please point me to the minivan with an 8000lb towing capacity, skid plates and a two-speed locking transfer case? I'd really like to save the $20k-30k your post implies (my deposit is refundable). And living in the city with little kids, the power sliding doors are much preferred.