How much better is the 18 vs 17.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

shane_th_ee

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The new expy kinda looks wagon-ish I don’t think it looks much like the burb except from maybe the side. They are pretty different but I like the burb and yukon better with the flat face...
Sure the front ends are different, but viewed from the side they are surprisingly similar from the B pillar back. After driving renting a '15 Suburban when they first came out, I realized the designers took a form-follows-function approach to the design. The flat/squared front (and rear) means the driver has very clear sight-lines to all 4 corners. I was amazed at how intuitive it was to know exactly where all four corners were. Ford's front end is a bit less polarizing in appearance but the cost is the driver has to learn where the front right corner is.

mossback

2017 Limited EL
Reaction score
Very personal preference but I don’t like the looks of the 18.

The 18 expy & navi do have some very nice features and updates that I wish the 17 had. Would also be great to have the ten speed. But, conversely, the 17 is an extremely well vetted design with the benefit of years of refinements and improvements. The 18 and maybe the 19 will have growing pains as the kinks are discovered and ironed out.

As someone who had tahoes and suburbans before this expy, I looked carefully at the next gen suburban as well and didn’t like it either. Without question Ford has a superior product than GM with these new trucks.

gtnator

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do we know if the 10 speed is serviceable by the owner? Kind of important as the vehicle ages. The new expy kinda looks wagon-ish I don’t think it looks much like the burb except from maybe the side. They are pretty different but I like the burb and yukon better with the flat face and truck like stance and belt line. But some might prefer the expys sleek lines.

View attachment 23806
View attachment 23805

The new Expy's front looks like a Range Rover to me. Not a bad thing to copy...

OP
OP
S

shell waster

Reaction score
Sounds like the 18 is real nice, gonna wait a few now for bugs to work out. Somebody asked why we would want 2..answer..hockey and skiiing

I hope the newer models come down a little in price. Question for 2018 owners would you have a bought a new 2017 platinum EL for 50k (plus the tax etc). Or a 2018 platinum for 70k (plus). We decided to save the 20k.

edizzle

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Here I sit in a 2018 Platinum!!!
Sounds like the 18 is real nice, gonna wait a few now for bugs to work out. Somebody asked why we would want 2..answer..hockey and skiiing

I hope the newer models come down a little in price. Question for 2018 owners would you have a bought a new 2017 platinum EL for 50k (plus the tax etc). Or a 2018 platinum for 70k (plus). We decided to save the 20k.

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score

18 ltds are more putfitted than the 17 platinum and are about 15k more. Ill take the 18 its far superior.

shane_th_ee

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The hitch, wiring, etc come on all ‘18s. It’s the HD radiator, rear axle, and trailer brake controller that cost extra.

OP
OP
S

shell waster

Reaction score
The hitch, wiring, etc come on all ‘18s. It’s the HD radiator, rear axle, and trailer brake controller that cost extra.

I know the brake controller/hd tow package was standard on the 17 platinum we got...How big is the gas tank on the 18?

Last edited:

J Ski

3.5plati
Reaction score
There are quite a few negatives of the 18. Most notably its hideous body. You get a 10 speed with a few extra HP and torque and you wanna pay $15-$20k more? I dont see the benefit. Sure if you like the minivan look and you have an extra $20k justblayi g around maybe the 2018 is for you. Better looking truck is the 3rd gen hands down