How much better is the 18 vs 17.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
S

shell waster

Reaction score
Found the tank size, Ford website still list the EL for the 2018 milage ..hmmm maybe not tabulated

07xln

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Can you please point me to the minivan with an 8000lb towing capacity, skid plates and a two-speed locking transfer case?
Yeah because living in the rugged outback of Seattle means you’re gonna need all that. Lol!!!

Exactly, 17 vs 18 sounds like just one year difference but really, in this case, its about 14 years worth of advancement.
If you think the 17 is at all comparable to a 2003 then you’re a moron and know absolutely nothing about automobiles. While there may be a resemblance there is hardly anything about them that is identical. They don’t even look the same. IMO when the 15-17 got a new motor that changed everything.

There was much need for a refresh sure but to say the difference between a 17 and 18 model is 14yrs of advancement is ridiculous. That might be the dumbest most ignorant comment I’ve read on this forum to date.

The new Expy's front looks like a Range Rover to me. Not a bad thing to copy...

Because the chief engineer for the Explorer used to work for Land Rover. The Expedition is just a bigger Explorer. I had a buddy that had a 15 Explorer sport and he used to say “it looks just like a Range”. Then we would say “but it’s an Explorer” and everyone would laugh.

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
18 reg length tank is 25 gal, max is 28 gal.
If you havent driven an 18(esp a plat) its hard to see where the extra money went but the plat is damn near a luxury truck and probably fords best product. I wouldve been happy with a 17, but its bot much different than my 09 nav. The 18 is better in every major way even if you cant get down with the look. If you order yours(like i did) you can get everything you want mostly without having to pay 20kextra

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah because living in the rugged outback of Seattle means you’re gonna need all that. Lol!!!

If you think the 17 is at all comparable to a 2003 then you’re a moron and know absolutely nothing about automobiles. While there may be a resemblance there is hardly anything about them that is identical. They don’t even look the same. IMO when the 15-17 got a new motor that changed everything.

Same ladder frame, same body, same CV Axles, same coil springs/struts, same doors, sa

Same ladder frame, same body, same CV Axles, same coil springs/struts, same doors, same windshield, same gas tank, same driveshafts, same floor pans, same radiator supports and body mounts, same transfer case, same differentials...ITS THE SAME TRUCK 03-17! The only differences are some pieces of plastic on the interior and on the front. What really makes up the truck is the same. BTW 03 sales sh*t on 15-17 sales, oh and they sh*t on 2018 sales too. The 2nd gen was an amazing truck with RECORD HISTORIC EXPY SALES! to pick on this is to pick on the entire model. IMO they are the best looking to this day too.
72505346.jpg

Last edited:

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Same ladder frame, same body, same CV Axles, same coil springs/struts, same doors, same windshield, same gas tank, same driveshafts, same floor pans, same radiator supports and body mounts, same transfer case, same differentials...ITS THE SAME TRUCK 03-17! The only differences are some pieces of plastic on the interior and on the front. What really makes up the truck is the same. BTW 03 sales sh*t on 15-17 sales, oh and they sh*t on 2018 sales too. The 2nd gen was an amazing truck with RECORD HISTORIC EXPY SALES! to pick on this is to pick on the entire model. IMO they are the best looking to this day too.
72505346.jpg

Agreed, this and this generation nav were probably the best looking vehicles of their time. Also, regardless of sells, this generation was the most influential of the class. This truck was the benchmark and was what everyone wanted to beat, including gm. Many vehicles used the features and innovations on this truck for their suvs as well as minivans.

rcompart

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I could do without the ribs on the rocker moldings but aside from that, I agree that the looks of the 2nd gen were much better overall to that of either of the 3rd gens but I somewhat miss the chiseled edges of the facelifted 3rd gen. It's funny how these trucks started off with soft, almost flowing body lines on the 1st gen, then the surfaces became flatter and the edges became more defined on the 2nd gen, then they became pronounced and boxy with the 3rd gen, then chiseled and cleaned up with the 3.5 gen and now things are being softened back up with the new 4th gen. And when you look at all 5 next to each other, it looks like we're really actually only on the 3rd generation of this truck given what was the same between 2003 and 2017.

upload_2018-2-18_18-34-11.png
upload_2018-2-18_18-34-20.png
upload_2018-2-18_18-34-42.png
upload_2018-2-18_18-35-2.png
upload_2018-2-18_18-35-42.png

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I could do without the ribs on the rocker moldings but aside from that, I agree that the looks of the 2nd gen were much better overall to that of either of the 3rd gens but I somewhat miss the chiseled edges of the facelifted 3rd gen. It's funny how these trucks started off with soft, almost flowing body lines on the 1st gen, then the surfaces became flatter and the edges became more defined on the 2nd gen, then they became pronounced and boxy with the 3rd gen, then chiseled and cleaned up with the 3.5 gen and now things are being softened back up with the new 4th gen. And when you look at all 5 next to each other, it looks like we're really actually only on the 3rd generation of this truck given what was the same between 2003 and 2017.

View attachment 23859
View attachment 23860
View attachment 23861
View attachment 23862
View attachment 23863

I agree on most of your points. id take a limited 2nd gen in a heartbeat. I do like the 3rd gen and prefer the interior but the 2nd gen just has something the other gens don't. They are all Expeditions so they are all good in my book.

Last edited:

GaryH2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I recently had an 18 Limited rental. The interior is a lot nicer than my 07, although it seemed very complicated with all of the driver aids and such. I think visibility has been consistently getting worse with each redesign (having had a 02 as well). Performance and mileage were much better in the 18 than my 07.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Aggie76

Reaction score
Spouse drives a '15 Denali XL and we debated going with the Expedition at the time. Decision point came down to old platform and price as we have Family pricing from her brothers being GM retirees. Have had several recurring issues with it, and dealer is 145 miles away.

Just moved from '09 F150 King Ranch to '18 F150 King Ranch and am thrilled with the improvements including transmission and ecoboost engine. Already thinking that we'll sell the Denali and go with an Expedition as soon as the KR is released.