How much better is the 18 vs 17.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I read all the responses and everyone seemed to have already made up their own mind on what defined the word "better" as asked by the OP. Is "better" a longer list of features or a bigger engine or more speeds in a gearbox? Or is it a nicer interior with softer edges? Maybe "better" is defined as a better price point?

I don't know.....I own an early-70's refrigerator...it's a very ugly Harvest Gold. Those of you old enough, know exactly what I have. It has ran for 46 years.....it continues to operate perfectly as long as I keep it's heat shedding ability up to ***** by cleaning it's coils.

A brand new non-specific new refrigerator that retails for 2,800. It has sensors for different compartments to controls temps and humidity. It will always be sure to have clean ice for me and will even tell me if it detects a problem. Heck, it will even do all this while using less electricity! A far "better" fridge right?

It has 714 parts for ONE of the front door assemblies. One of those parts, (#41) has about a 92% failure rate OUTSIDE the warranty period. The repair costs $718.00 dollars.......because the tech has to remove 480 of those 714 parts to get to #41.........how many times will an uneducated owner paying? Was this a "better" fridge?

I bought a pretty fully loaded '17 for a single guy...no dvd's or CCD...other than that, everything I think....and I paid LESS THAN 55K Out the door in MD (a 6% sales tax state). To me that's "better"...but I agree that the '18 is a more featured vehicle with a newer, higher performing engine and transmission and I would LOVE to have emergency braking.....but "better"...all depends how you define it............

jeff

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sounds like your describing a better "deal proposition" than what is the better "product". However, therws no question the 18 is a better product than the 17, personal preferences non withstanding..Sounds like that question would need to be answered first, do you feel one products improvements justify the difference in price.

rcompart

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We have no idea on how much better these are in terms of reliability. Heck, we barely know how reliable the 15-17s are long term. Better is very subjective. Better entertainment, hardly. Better comfort, in my opinion yes. Better looks, again only my opinion but yes. Better resale? Who’s sold one to know. Lots of opinion at this point but as far as my overall opinion, I do like this truck better than my 2017.

07xln

Full Access Members
Reaction score
We have no idea on how much better these are in terms of reliability. Heck, we barely know how reliable the 15-17s are long term. Better is very subjective. Better entertainment, hardly. Better comfort, in my opinion yes. Better looks, again only my opinion but yes. Better resale? Who’s sold one to know. Lots of opinion at this point but as far as my overall opinion, I do like this truck better than my 2017.

The argument here would be what do you mean we don't know how reliable the 15-17's are if theyre technically a 10yr old model? According to people on here the 15-17 is no different then an 07 (someone even said theyre the same as an 03 lol). In which case I can only assume youre speaking about the motor which has been around since 2009 in the F150. Don't hear a lot of horror stories from those guys do ya. In that case I would call the 15-17 very reliable.

But like you said which is better is only going to be opinion based. You like the looks. IMO its a bigger explorer and looks like a mini van. Its hardly a truck as you call it. Resale is gonna suck for a 17 simply because its the end of a model range.
Is newer better? In a lot of ways yes. I think the question is what has it gained in capability that would make it better? Tow ratings are the same even though the 18 makes more hp/tq. Yes the 18 makes more hp/tq but a guy like me with a 15-17 can drop $400-500 on a tune and be making higher numbers safely in a matter of minutes. It would appear to me the 4x4 has been neutered over the previous model because its lost some of its functionality. Sure its gained lockers BUT you have to buy a certain package to get those whereas before if you purchased a 4x4 then that's what you were getting. No separate packages etc. Point is the argument can continue on and on

Do I think my 17 is better, no. do I think the 18 is better, no. Especially when my 17 is just as capable in almost every way. Its the creature comforts in the new model that give it a leg up, not its capabilities

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds like your describing a better "deal proposition" than what is the better "product". However, therws no question the 18 is a better product than the 17, personal preferences non withstanding..Sounds like that question would need to be answered first, do you feel one products improvements justify the difference in price.

I don't think you totally read into the meaning of jeff's post, again better is subjective. I do not think the 18' is any better of a product than the 17'. Here is an example: Steel is a more expensive and structurally stronger material than aluminum and the body of a 17' is made of this superior material making it the superior product.... see how this can go back and forth forever and ever? Maybe to the next person aluminum is better because it doesn't oxidize as quickly when unprotected. I disagree that the 18' or 17' is better, because better depends on the owners preference. Opinions are great though and it's great you enjoy your expy, i really enjoy mine too.

Last edited:

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Exactly. Jl...."better" is something that is defined by the observer. No doubt the '18 is a "better" truck to me....I'm not stepping in that pile...

but that fridge of mine prob cost 350 bucks brand new.....and is still running.....

Anyone know someone with a "new" "better" washer that has tanked on them because of a "computer failure rendering the entire appliance junk? I have, 3 different friends have all received their version of the "death code"....were the Maytag, Samsung or unknown washer(in one of the cases) "better"?

Not to me...they all broke....rendering them UNREPAIRABLE!

I'm just suggesting that folks need to retain critical thinking when they look at something or make a comparison or read something.....everyone has an agenda and everyone is trying to twist what they tell you so you see it their way......even me.....

jeff

barrydu4

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had a 2012 Expedition Limited, with only 25,000 miles which I kept showroom clean, and it was totaled in a wreck in January. We looked at the 2018 but they had so many big rebates and with a great price for out totaled 2012 Expedition we purchased this 2017 Limited. As for us the only thing we got different was the 2nd row captain chairs and of course the V-6 ecoboost. We love it. We love it.

poppie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Will if the 2018 Expedition has the same crap as the 2018 F150's have they can keep'em,i'll keep my 2002 F-350 1 ton 7.3 Diesel & our 2007 Expedition with the 5.4 OR look for a left over 5.0 2017 F-150 OR a CPO 5.0 2017, A Timing BELT!!!,really ,no gear or chain drive for the valves AND the POS has start / stop, engine turns off at every light and restarts when the light turns green ,WHAT THE HELL ARE THEY THINKING , https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNJV4jAP4S4 , STOP START COMMENT AT THE 2:15 MARK IN THIS VIDEO ALONG WITH ALL THE INFO / SPECK'S ON ALL THE 2018 FORD ENGINES ,https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEpGJNfdFwQ , NO THANK'S............

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Will if the 2018 Expedition has the same crap as the 2018 F150's have they can keep'em,i'll keep my 2002 F-350 1 ton 7.3 Diesel & our 2007 Expedition with the 5.4 OR look for a left over 5.0 2017 F-150 OR a CPO 5.0 2017, A Timing BELT!!!,really ,no gear or chain drive for the valves AND the POS has start / stop, engine turns off at every light and restarts when the light turns green ,WHAT THE HELL ARE THEY THINKING , https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNJV4jAP4S4 , STOP START COMMENT AT THE 2:15 MARK IN THIS VIDEO ALONG WITH ALL THE INFO / SPECK'S ON ALL THE 2018 FORD ENGINES ,https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEpGJNfdFwQ , NO THANK'S............

A truck engine should have a cast iron block and a timing chain, the only engine ford currently makes that fits the bill is the 6.2L V8 and it desperately needs to come back to the F-150. If not we need an engine similar in design to come back to Fords half ton market. I’m not a huge fan of their new engines and they are building them lighter and lighter duty to save $$, but that’s not good for us. The 5.0 is not like the 5.4 or 6.2L in design and doesn’t share the HD oriented traits of them.

Last edited:

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I remember once reading an Engineering book that stated an internal combustion engine "should have a cast iron engine frame or block, cast iron pistons (for equal expansion) with leather wicks for oil control".

While I'm prodding a little fun at a friend....I would agree....a timing belt has no place on ANY engine I own, period.

jeff