How much can I tow?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ClarkGriswold

Reaction score
Hello, I've read through the posts for the last 5 years but still confused on what I can safely tow. I have recently purchased a 2012 Expedition Limited with the HD towing, 4x4, Regular wheelbase, 3.73 axel. We are now looking to buy the largest travel tailer we can safely tow. We like ones that are around 35' and weigh around 7,000-7,400 (without cargo and liquids).

Per the Ford brochure I can pull 8,700 (with WD). However on the "Safety Compliance Certification Label" on the b column near driver door it says GVWR is 7,700. Why is this not 8,700?

Most trips will be in state except for annual cross country trips. So there will be some mountains but not much. For instance this year we want to see Yellowstone, next year Grand Canyon, the following year The Smoky Mountains, etc. It will be my wife and I and our two little girls.

If we buy a TT this large I would invest in a Hensley style hitch and would upgrade tires if I need to.

However, is this trailer just too big to be safe?

I've tried to figure this out myself but having a hard time with it all. Any help you can give would be highly appreciated. Also if you have a similar size trailer I would be very interested in your driving experiences.

Thanks!!

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Two things you should read. Also I would ask what is your towing experience?
Length to weight - Jayco RV Owners Forum

How to Weigh Your TV/TT - Jayco RV Owners Forum

In my opinion you might want to check out one of the RV forums The members on there are much better at giving towing advice that the members here. And again just my opinion.

Two things that you need to keep in mind and they are
The Max weight of the TT The dry weight means nothing and then the dry weight is normally lower than the actual empty weight.

The second thing is Hitch weight and how that will affect the weight over the rear axel

Again check the RV forums and I am sure you will find the answers you need.

And again JUST MY OPINION and based on my towing experience I would not tow a 35FT TT with an expedition. But I am sure there will be members here that disagree.

cman1120

Full Access Members
Reaction score
First things first... the number on the door is not the tow rating, it's the gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) ie a fancy term of saying how much the total vehicle can weight with all fluids, occupants, cargo, ect. The tow rating can be found in the owners manual.

Look on the trailer for the maximum weight (ie what the max weight rating of the trailer is) and if it is below 8700 then theoretically yes you could tow it when it is fully outfitted. Keep in mind that in addition to just the empty weight of the trailer you will be hauling a full load of water, clothes, food and other gear with you to the camping sites, which is why you should take that into consideration.

Personally, I wouldn't buy a trailer any heavier than than 7,000 empty and even then that is pushing it IMHO. That leaves more than enough wiggle room for a full load of water and gear (some tanks are bigger than others.) You also have to stop the trailer, and you will absolutely require a good trailer brake controller and an upgraded braking system. If you choose to tow heavy, getting airbags in the rear to level out the truck while towing is a very worthwhile investment.

I haven't had a ton of towing experience but I have towed on several occasions with a lot of highway time. A standard length expedition towing that large of a trailer is going to be blown all over the road every time a truck passes you, not to mention the sway will probably be quite nasty. It is my opinion that if you want a trailer that is over 30 feet in length, the only way to go about it is with a gooseneck and a heavy duty pickup. Your towing experience will be much more pleasant, and you as well as everyone around you will be safer. Sorry for the long post but just sharing what I know/my opinions.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Flexpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Its my opinion that with a Hensley hitch and LT tires and you will be fine in the 35' and 7K trailer size range. Airbags are a smart idea. Before looking inside of any trailer you are considering, hitch it up and take it for a test drive and decide for yourself. Some people cannot tow, lack confidence in themselves, equipment, etc. Others are gung-ho and would put a bass boat behind that 35' camper, the rest of us are in the middle somewhere. Your Expedition is safely more than capable regardless.

A friend of mine has a couple of enclosed race/show car haulers. He ran into mechanical issues with his truck on the side of the highway and called me to fetch the trailer. I assumed he was towing his normal 22-24? footer. I get there and its his 34 footer. Its made of aluminum but has an old 1920 something car in it and a lot of parts. Its a huge, triple axle monster and the back half is taller than the front. After 10 miles of white-knuckle profanity-laced driving I literally start to forgot it was behind the Expedition. The wind did push it some and my mileage went from MPG to feet per gallon. I'd not hesitate pulling a trailer that size again, but I'd been much more comfortable with a distribution/sway hitch. 0-40 MPH took noticeably longer, but after that it was fine. On the highway if you keep it at trucker speed of 60-62, you will have very few passing you and you'll be passing even less. Enjoy the right lane, there is plenty to see there.

While I'm throwing my opinion out there, the increased popularity/lowered cost of slide-outs in the last several years have changed the camper market significantly. I'd suspect (with no proof whatsoever) you can have the same or more square footage in a 25-28' with multiple sliders than in a 32-35' with none. And possibly for less money.