How To Change Rear Diff Fluid

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
nvycrmn

nvycrmn

Full Access Members
Reaction score
dont you worry dgray. im hoping to have new gears put in next month. goin with some 4.88's i think. when i do that, i will put a locker in the rear.

panda24619

Full Access Members
Reaction score

panda24619

Full Access Members
Reaction score
so heres a question. i dont have a lsd. ive checked my book and the haynes manual. it says add friction modifier if i have the lsd. i dont. should i add it anyways? and my dad didnt buy the gasket. so i gotta go get it and an extra bottle of gear oil.

OP
OP
nvycrmn

nvycrmn

Full Access Members
Reaction score
you dont need the gasket, you can just get the RTV. as for friction modifier, i would just do it anyway. not going to hurt anything. its only a few bucks.

Extortion

Reaction score
i didn't add any friction modifier to mine should i go back and get some?

OP
OP
nvycrmn

nvycrmn

Full Access Members
Reaction score
if you didnt use the fully synthetic (royal purple for example) then yes, go get a 4 oz bottle of friction modifier and put it in or you will destroy those gears.

99 Expy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hey guys, how many miles, or years do you usually change your diff fluid? I think my rear was done about 2 years ago when the seals were replaced, but I'm not sure about the front. I'm guessing there is a plug in the front?

OP
OP
nvycrmn

nvycrmn

Full Access Members
Reaction score
yes, there is a plug in the front as well. not as easy to do as the rear so hopefully you dont have to change the gasket on the front. i think its supposed to be every 60k miles for the fluid change. cant remember. i always do it after a good day of offroading in mud and water.

battmanf16

Reaction score
this will save you about $40 or so from taking it to a shop. It just cost you $75 and about 1hr (drain time, wait time on RTV, and fill time) to do the same job that most places charge $110+tax.

This entire post is fantastic. It saved me many $$. The Ford dealership quoted $139 to suck out and replace the diff oil. To remove the cover and replace was $259 (which needed doing because of a leak). So, you saved me many more than $40. Thanks!

Bob

David C Bruner

Reaction score
In case you don't know, at least Valvoline already puts a friction modifier in their 75w140 grease, so if you add more you may go from limited slip to never...