How to 'convert' 2014 with standard towing package to have a factory heavy duty towing package

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

brick

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What do you plan to tow? The HD tow package likely includes a Trans cooler, higher capacity Engine cooling, 7 blade connector, higher capacity flasher, etc. All are good to have, even if you are not towing.
Your dealer could give you specifics.
brick

OP
OP
J

jmden

Reaction score
Thanks, I've got my dealer working on getting me an estimate now, but I'm not sure they can/will do it all? Has anyone done this through a dealer before?

I'd like to have all OEM parts so that it truly does have the factory HD tow package. The parts that I know of include the HD radiator, aux tranny cooler, 'heavy duty' flashers (whatever that is...is this just a relay or is it new blinker bulbs at all 4 corners?), electronic brake controller (where does this go on a 2014?) and wiring harness change to include the 7-pin connector and the 4-pin trailer connector.

My class IV factory hitch with 4-pin connector is the same as would be included in the HD tow package from what I can tell. It says it's rated for towing up to 9200 lbs on a sticker on it.

OP
OP
J

jmden

Reaction score
OK. Where can I find the part numbers for this effort?

HD Radiator:
Aux tranny cooler:
Brake controller:
HD flashers:

I think I can pick up the mod for the wiring harness from etrailer pretty easy.

Could sure use some help here, guys. Dealer parts folks are not too impressive in saying they need a VIN number from a vehicle with the HD tow package to figure this out. Seems a little ridiculous.

OP
OP
J

jmden

Reaction score
Alright, did some searching under 2014 Ford Expeditions at fordparts.com. They call some of the parts 'super engine cooling...'

HD Radiator: 8005(RAD-47)
Aux tranny cooler: 7A095
Brake controller: 2C006
HD flashers: still checking on this one...any ideas?

Triplet Dad

Reaction score
The wiring for some of the 7-pin connector is already there...other than the constant 12V and the reverse lights. Also, the wiring for the brake controller is already there too, just buy the brake controller and the adapter made for your vehicle...it's plug and play.

OP
OP
J

jmden

Reaction score
Believe it or not, the dealer wants $3550 not including tax, to do the work. Not worth it. Will go check their numbers tomorrow, but what are they doing...installing a whole new wiring harness? They quoted me $358 just to intall the factory electronic brake controller. The 'super engine cooling' radiator was $299 at fordparts.com (could do that myself) and the aux tranny cooler was $53 something (not including all the tubing, brackets, etc. I can get an adapter from etrailer.com for the wiring on the rear end to give me 7 pin and 4 pin right at the hitch for about $40 or so...and it's nearly plug and play. I don't see where approx. $3200 (3550-358) to install a new radiator and aux tranny cooler pencils out...

OP
OP
J

jmden

Reaction score
I got a Tekonsha P3 brake controller and adapter for under $100

Do you have a 2014?

That's the same aftermarket controller I was looking at. It looks like etrailer has an adapter where one end plugs into the factory 4 pin connection, has a connection to hook up the factory brake controller line that's already there, and then this all runs to a combo 7-pin/4-pin connection that you mount.

Then are you saying the other end just plugs into the Tek P3? I can find a grey plug up under the dash that I think looks like the one that would got to an aftermarket brake controller, but it's plugged into another plug and that connection is held together with a bracket, I think, that's attached to the dash. I wonder if the other plug and wires runs to the center console area where a factory brake controller would reside. Perhpas I just need to unhook these plugs and plug it right into the Tek P3. etrailer does not have a video for a 2014.