How to improve hp and torque?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dustin Miller

Reaction score
So i just bought my first expedition. I have always drove explorers. I bought a bigger boat and my explorer was screaming pulling it so i bought a 1998 4.6l expedition. Want to know the first steps to increasing hp and torque. Do c.a.i. really work? Or are they just for sound. Never really did any kind of performance mods to any vehicle so i dont know were to start. Any info would be appreciated.

OP
OP
D

Dustin Miller

Reaction score
Body has 190,000. Supposedly the motor has about 100,000 on it. I just bought it so i havent serviced it yet. After reading about the 4.6 motors i wish i would of found a 5.4. But it is what it is now. I keep seeing mixed reviews about CAI. alot of people say they dont anything then a few say they do. Dont want to waste money on something that dont work.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
CAI are a waste of time unless they are mounted in such a way that they breathe in air that isn't heated by the engine. Most of the guys around here add them on, they can hear the engine sucking in the hot air so they think they have an improvement. Keep thinking if you want, that but it isn't true. They are really letting the engine breathe in lower density air due to the air's increased temperature compared to ambient temp. This means less oxygen to aid in the combustion process & less performance.

Most of the hp gains are at the top end of the curve (close to wot), so how long are you wanting to keep your foot in it?

There is an "old school" saying, "there is no replacement for displacement". Still holds true today. There are various ways of increasing displacement - none of them are cheap though

For towing you should focus on low end torque. I would see how it tows in it's current configuration before tossing anything on it. Keep in mind the 4.6 is adequate for lighter towing but the 5.4 is the choice for heavier rigs.

If it was my rig I would make sure I haven't exceeded the towing capacity, freshen up the cooling system and brakes and just go slower.

I've towed @5000lbs with mine and you do notice a difference in performance. I just disable overdrive and accelerate easy. Works fine for me.

Last edited:

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
When I worked for the county we would get a few of the older police cars that had been detuned. They let one slip by that still had the police tune on it - what a difference. And I think they had the 4.6 under the hood. The highest return on the dollar will be the exhaust and tuning.
And they didn't run a CAI.

1997SCEBFEX

Full Access Members
Reaction score
++ on torque, slow, almost hypermiling acceleration.

I added the maghytec trans pan garnering an extra 8 qts of trans fluid to keep it cooler. Also put an inline B&M trans filter in too. Changed fluid and filter every 25K when towing over extended periods of time.

good luck, welcome again, and let us know what you do.

OP
OP
D

Dustin Miller

Reaction score
Thank u all for the info! Think i will stay away from cai. Im gonna look into exhaust and tuner. Any recommendations? I heard dual exhaust will lower torque? Is that true?

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just bought a MagnaFlow for mine. It sounds good. I never saw a dyno chart for it or heard any claims of any kind of gains or loses.

There's also Gibson. I believe they have a set for single and dual exhaust.

What gears are in it? Changing those (while expensive) can also make a big difference.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dcleghorn01