How to install Signal Mirrors

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

corvettej

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This installation is for 2003-06 Expedition XLT. You can use the Eddie Bauer, Limited, King Ranch signal mirrors or the 2003-06 Navigator mirrors. First lets disconnect the battery. Pop up the window control module.

Materials Needed:

1. 2-3 ft of wire (14 awg) colors doesn’t matter.
2. 4 butt connector
3. Left and Right Signal mirror

Tools Needed:

1. Crimpler
2. Wire Stripper
3. Flat tip screwdriver
4. Torx (T-20)
5. Ratchet
6. 7mm socket
7. 13mm socket

sm00.jpg

sm02.jpg

Pop up the door sill.

sm03.jpg

This is how it look after it is remove.

sm04.jpg

Grab and pull out the weatherstripping like in the photo, it is not glue in.

sm05.jpg

Pull the Hush panel forward to release it.

sm06.jpg

This is why you pull the Hush panel forward because of the tabs

sm07.jpg

Put a Butt Connector on the green wire with white stripe, run a wire about a foot and half from there into door boot and up to the mirror connector.

sm08.jpg

sm09.jpg

See black Tab in front of the green connector, the Hush panel must slide over this when you replace the Hush panel.

sm10.jpg

This is the channel in the floor if you need to run wires to the back ie, subwoofer wires.

sm11.jpg

This the boot that the wire will come through, don't worry about the ground because the plug has the ground already.

sm01.jpg

Push up on the door panel switch to release it.

sm12.jpg

Now lets remove the door panel, oh, by the way my mirrors has been install over 7 years, I took the door apart to make sure I'm posting the right info. There are 2 bolts (7mm) at the bottom and 2 torx screws (T-20) behind this tab.

sm13.jpg

sm14.jpg

Unplug the window switch module and sat aside.

sm15.jpg

sm16.jpg

Make sure the door button is in the lock position, then pull up on the door slightly moving it back and forth or up and down it will come off look at the pictures to get an idea where the tabs are so you don't break them or the lip off.

sm17.jpg

sm18.jpg

Don't forget to unplug the mirror on the door panel. Now would be a great time to upgrade the front speakers if you like, they are 6x8's I purchase these at Walmart for around $50. and they fit ford products.

sm19.jpg

Remove the stick-on that covering the mirrors bolts, there are 3 bolts(13mm).

sm20.jpg

This step go ahead and pull the stick-on for the large door panel back enough to unplug the the mirror connection and remove the mirror from the door and replace with the signal mirror that you have purchased, run the mirror harness through just like the old one. The wire that you tap into (green wire with white stripe) will butt connect to the green wire with white stripe on the signal mirror plug that you just install.

sm21.jpg

sm22.jpg

Now is the time to test it by connecting the battery and turn on the turn signal for the left side, the puddle light and the turn signal should be working now. If not check the connection. If it is working disconnect the battery and reassemble the door and get ready to do the passenger side.

sm23.jpg

On the passenger side you don't have to remove the Hush panel, the weatherstrip or the door sill. Go ahead and remove the door panel, the old mirror and install the new mirror and route the harness but don't make any connection because on this side the wire is a different color. Open and empty the glovebox there on both sides near the rear push in on the tabs and the glove will drop down out of the way and you should see this, this is where I have the wire tap. The wire is white with a blue stripe.

sm24.jpg

Sierra Lima1470

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thats a great write up! SOO many steps for a mirror. Good pictures. I dont need to install mirrors BUT I do need to remove my door panel to fix my window track. and this showed me how! Thank you!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
geovanni