How to remove & clean iac / maf / intake

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WHOISMOOTOO

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So i know i have to replace my exaust manifold gasket on my passenger side it is definitley shot, would it be smart to do the drivers side as well? While im in mechanic mode im going to attempt to pull apart my intake and clean everything it would be really helpful if any of yall had any how to's or even pics. I am having some ruff idle issues but nothing too serious it stalled on me once last month so i think im about due, i just changed the spark plugs out (pita) and 2 coil packs were bad replaced those as well. Thanks in advance for the help, i searched and searched but i found alot of dude try this and how bout that no real how to's so lets make one!

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The IAC is just 2 bolts (7mm, I believe). Disconnect the electrical connector. Don't lose the paper gasket.

Actually, what year do you have again? Won't have one if you're 05+

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you have an 05, then you have the 3V 5.4 These are driven by wire, so no IAC. To clean these, and to help with stall issues, you'll have to clean the throttle body. It would be best to remove it, but just cleaning what you can reach with a rag and throttle body cleaner works as well.

Take off the intake, and spray some TB cleaner around the opening of the TB. Open the TB intake butterfly with one hand while spraying with the other. With a rag, wipe as much grime as you can.

This is what I had to do with my dad's 05 4.6 (also drive by wire). It helped with his ideling issues.

OP
OP
WHOISMOOTOO

WHOISMOOTOO

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ive been hearing horror storys from my buddy (lightningrodder.com) about removing the tb and re-installing it throwing codes and running like crap because of the .99 volts that has to be constant or something like that, is there a how to with pics so i can make sure i dont jack nothing up too bad anyway...? Or is that just cuz there trucks are 01-03?

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Could be? Not sure. I know people take it off on the F150s and clean them out. For my dad's, I just took a rag and cleaned as much as I could reach.

OP
OP
WHOISMOOTOO

WHOISMOOTOO

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So i finally bit my lip and took off the throttle body and cleaned it, it didnt look that dirty but i used that b12 stuff i really didnt have to wipe it it all kind of dripped off then i wiped it down with a rag, put it back together and holy shit i couldnt tell if it was on or not! The idle was smoother than i can remember.

But im still having a hissing/buzzing sound when i accelerate it gets worse when i go up hill, and i noticed my mpg going down as it was making the hissing/buzzing noise but when let off the pedal just enuff for it to stop buzzing the mpg was going back up....? Also i know your not supposed to get good gas mileage uphill in an expedition but this is really bad when it jumps numbers. Any ideas??

Local14

Reaction score
05 eb

So was there any problems or obstacle with removing and reinstalling the TB?? Also where is the IAC? Im getting a 506 trouble code