Howling Noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Skud

Reaction score
Hi All,

I have a 2022 304a Stealth Performance with ~4200 miles on it. Since 1500 miles it's been making a howling noise when maintaining speed and lightly accelerating. I can hear it at low speed and on the highway - even over the radio sometimes.

I've uploaded an audio clip and you can really hear it at 13, 18, and 21 seconds. Even at the beginning of the clip as I'm starting at a light you can hear it a bit. To me, it sounds like it's coming from the front left side of the vehicle. 4WD/2WD doesn't matter, but I have noticed that downshifting will make it go away.

Anyone have any ideas what this could be before I take it in?

Thanks!!
Riley

2020FordRaptor

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hi All,

I have a 2022 304a Stealth Performance with ~4200 miles on it. Since 1500 miles it's been making a howling noise when maintaining speed and lightly accelerating. I can hear it at low speed and on the highway - even over the radio sometimes.

I've uploaded an audio clip and you can really hear it at 13, 18, and 21 seconds. Even at the beginning of the clip as I'm starting at a light you can hear it a bit. To me, it sounds like it's coming from the front left side of the vehicle. 4WD/2WD doesn't matter, but I have noticed that downshifting will make it go away.

Anyone have any ideas what this could be before I take it in?

Thanks!!
Riley
That is normal. All our forced induction vehicles make that sound (Shelby GT500, Explorer ST, and Raptor). We even had a technician ride a long and he had an long explanation that I can't remember.

ROBERT BONNER

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sounds like a normal induction rumble to me. What you "hear" when you listen to an automobile engine is a rotating symphony that is made up of a combination of cyclical sounds from the individual combustion events (one every 120 degrees of crankshaft rotation in a 60 deg V6) valve train actions (4 every 60 degrees of crankshaft rotation) haltingly rushing air through the induction system and exhaust through the exhaust system with pressure waves caused by opening and closing of valves. High Frequency (up to 17,000 rpm) "screams" from the intake and exhaust sides of the two turbos. Many of these sounds get amplified when the density of the fresh air on the induction side and back pressure on the exhaust side increases by up to a factor of 2 under compression. Since many of these sounds are synchornized by the Crankshaft, they have various "resonances" that can come and go under different loads and at specific engine rpm's. Some of these resonances are "good" (more torque), some are "bad" (objectionable noise and vibration/durability issues). You tend to hear the induction sounds over most others because they are loud and frequently closer to your ears (top of the motor) than others .....And, I believe that being a '22, yours doesn't have the dress-up cover on top of the engine which would probably dampen some of the sounds.

More information that you wanted to know...but, I had fun writing it.

Best thing to do is just enjoy the music!

OP
OP
S

Skud

Reaction score
Thanks everyone. This is my first 3.5 H.O. so I have no other reference. My last F.I. vehicle was a 3.0 EcoDiesel and my Kenne Bell Mustang makes too much noise to hear anything at all.. ;)

I had wondered if it was some sort of induction resonance, but discounted that due to all the work OEMs usually do to address this sort of NVH. Those dents, silencers, and "restrictions" on the intake side are usually for things like this. Oh well, it's not too bothersome, except when it starts on the highway.

Thanks!!
Riley

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My wife's Navigator did that same thing on the highway. I BELIEVE its drone from the muffler because they used the dual in dual out mufflers on both your vehicle and hers. It was annoying loud in the rear seat because the muffler itself sat under that floor area.