Hunting for bugs in our new-to-us 2014 EL Ltd

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
MrTommy

MrTommy

Reaction score
How about an alignment? Will that be covered under warranty?

I'll ask when we go to Carmax tomorrow. I'll suggest that maybe the bearing and alignment thing might go hand in hand. We're going to try to get everything done we can under the "bumper to bumper" 30 day warranty. I don't think we've put enough miles on it to have uneven wear show up on the tires though.

OP
OP
MrTommy

MrTommy

Reaction score
looks like a nice rig.
hope you get the bugs worked out and have years of happiness with her.

Thanks. We loved our 2004 Expy! That's why we opted to get another one for our next car, er, truck. And, compared to our old one, this one seems like pure luxury - :banana-mario:

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Heck, if you'd have posted, I could have sent you a report after driving "your" truck! I searched carmax too but in the end, decided to buy new but they do have a very good sales system.

The "best deal" I found last Nov was a 2015 Tahoe with 5,000 miles....42 grand out the door at Carmax-Laurel & a '16 Tahoe with 7500 miles at Carmax-Security blvd for 48K out the door.

I'm just posting these to give you a reference.

I have also felt what you describe and have attributed it to the design of the body....if you accelerate very slowly, you can feel it get into it's "resonance zone" where you feel it. Downshift or change physical speed and it goes away....no bad bearings.

In fact, if you crack a rear window, it disappears.....this is a pretty good indicator!

You will love that truck though!! Congrats!

jeff

OP
OP
MrTommy

MrTommy

Reaction score
When we went on the hunt for a new vehicle, there was NO looking at anything BUT an Expedition. Period. We loved our 2004 and wanted another. Now, had I known the eco-boost came online in 2015 I may have looked for one of them, but, I didn't. Would like to have a tad more power. Oh well, we'll most likely keep this one for another ten years. We never get rid of anything - ha. Our pickup is 20 years old.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
When we went on the hunt for a new vehicle, there was NO looking at anything BUT an Expedition. Period. We loved our 2004 and wanted another. Now, had I known the eco-boost came online in 2015 I may have looked for one of them, but, I didn't. Would like to have a tad more power. Oh well, we'll most likely keep this one for another ten years. We never get rid of anything - ha. Our pickup is 20 years old.

Probably the reason why you found the price agreeable (if you did) is precisely BECAUSE it is a 2014 EL....

If it looks and performs pretty much the same as a 2007 in excellent condition, unloading them has got to be pretty hard.... default shopper reactions gotta be "hmm, I'd rather save a dozen grand or two" and "honey why not add a few bucks and go with the new & improved model instead?"

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Probably the reason why you found the price agreeable (if you did) is precisely BECAUSE it is a 2014 EL....

If it looks and performs pretty much the same as a 2007 in excellent condition, unloading them has got to be pretty hard.... default shopper reactions gotta be "hmm, I'd rather save a dozen grand or two" and "honey why not add a few bucks and go with the new & improved model instead?"

They aren’t hard to unload you just have to find someone who needs a truck based SUV. From 03-17 they’ve been the same and the same people want them.

Last edited:
OP
OP
MrTommy

MrTommy

Reaction score
They aren’t hard to unload you just have to find someone who needs a truck based SUV. From 03-17 they’ve been the same and the same people want them.

And you described us to a "T". ;) Except that I would have preferred a bit more power (as I mentioned earlier in the thread).

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And you described us to a "T". ;) Except that I would have preferred a bit more power (as I mentioned earlier in the thread).

Lots of the lag in the 5.4 is caused by the drive by wire system, you can get rid of that and get sharper throttle response by a few avenues and add some juice with a good tune.

OP
OP
MrTommy

MrTommy

Reaction score
Lots of the lag in the 5.4 is caused by the drive by wire system, you can get rid of that and get sharper throttle response by a few avenues and add some juice with a good tune.

What would these "few avenues" be? I have an Edge Programmer on my 7.3 Powerstroke and THAT has really livened it up. Of course, I've done a lot more to it, but I didn't think a programmer would do all that much for a catalytic converter gas engine. What do you suggest? We're only towing an enclosed two axle trailer with a 2011 Polaris RZR with the Expy. Probably not much more than 1500 pounds max.