Hypermiling the 3.5.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mossback

2017 Limited EL
Reaction score
Muddy, very interesting! Those are great numbers for sure!

I have a hard time not going 70 to 75mph so I don't think I'll ever see those, but still, it's good to know the truck is capable of it.

Concerning the trip computer, I was in a situation a few weeks ago where the low fuel alert managed to get to 0 miles to empty and I was still able to get to the closest gas station about 8 miles further away. I put 31.437 gallons into the tank. So there were still approx two gallons remaining. I'm not sure all of that was usable but I bet I still had 10 to 15 miles more I could have driven if I had to. Just to be clear, I almost always keep my tank full and hate to have it less than half, but this was an unusual circumstance.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
^ there is a guy in YouTube who got almost 50 miles past zero to E on his 15’ F-150 before running out, pretty wild.

bobmbx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Muddy, very interesting! Those are great numbers for sure!

I have a hard time not going 70 to 75mph so I don't think I'll ever see those, but still, it's good to know the truck is capable of it.

Concerning the trip computer, I was in a situation a few weeks ago where the low fuel alert managed to get to 0 miles to empty and I was still able to get to the closest gas station about 8 miles further away. I put 31.437 gallons into the tank. So there were still approx two gallons remaining. I'm not sure all of that was usable but I bet I still had 10 to 15 miles more I could have driven if I had to. Just to be clear, I almost always keep my tank full and hate to have it less than half, but this was an unusual circumstance.

My tank is 34 gallons, and I've never been able to put more than 30-31 gallons in it. The manual says there is an 'unspecified' amount of empty reserve in the tank after the gauge hits "E" or "0 DTE". I think its around 2 gallons.

07xln

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Its funny you say that. Mine has the 34 gallon tank and Ive never been able to get more then 28 gallons in it. Ive ran it down way in the red past E and sure enough when I fill up, 28 gallons and some change. Every time

Hard to believe there is 6 more gallons in there when the gauge is on E

bobmbx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Its funny you say that. Mine has the 34 gallon tank and Ive never been able to get more then 28 gallons in it. Ive ran it down way in the red past E and sure enough when I fill up, 28 gallons and some change. Every time

Hard to believe there is 6 more gallons in there when the gauge is on E

Just now filled up with 12 miles DTE. 28.6 gallons.

deweysmith

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I’ve had the opposite experience! 0 km to E and it starts sputtering around corners and losing fuel pressure on inclines. Never run it out of gas but in one of these instances pumped 33 gallons into it.

32.5 gallons is the big tank size, officially.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve had the opposite experience! 0 km to E and it starts sputtering around corners and losing fuel pressure on inclines. Never run it out of gas but in one of these instances pumped 33 gallons into it.

32.5 gallons is the big tank size, officially.

I ran it well into reserves when I was stuck on the highway and a Subaru caught fire, sat in traffic and drove miles. Don’t want to attempt it again though, wasn’t a very pleasant feeling haha.

OP
OP
Muddy Bean

Muddy Bean

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Dewey, the big tank size is 34 gallons on the EL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

mossback

2017 Limited EL
Reaction score
I ran it well into reserves when I was stuck on the highway and a Subaru caught fire, sat in traffic and drove miles. Don’t want to attempt it again though, wasn’t a very pleasant feeling haha.

It really isn't a good feeling. As the DTE kept getting closer to zero I was really letting off the gas and driving Muddy style. :D Then as I realized it was going to drop to zero, I started wondering if I was going to have to call AAA. Then I started thinking, they must leave a small fuel reserve for when dummies like me drive past zero. And then, as I pulled into the gas station, a feeling of relief...

According to the Ford specifications the 2017 EL has a 33.5 gallon tank. It would be interesting to know how much of that is unusable. But we know for sure it's not more than 2.063 gallons. And my guess is something more like half a gallon.

fuel.gif