I need help Problem with cooling system

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

josephgil

Reaction score
Hi Im living here in qatar and i have a Ford Expedition 2000 4WD XLT 5.4L, i recently had overheating problems again on my truck, the previous was that the Rad had a 5 cm crack in it, but i wasn't noticing it so my coolant almost dried out and got me a couple of overheating problems even if i keep on refilling the coolant reservoir while using the truck coz i was saving some money to have it fixed. Then i got some help from a local mechanic and had the rad patched up with an epoxy metal seal, and after 3 months of doing the trick, i noticed that there was a coffee milky like oil inside the coolant reservoir. I finally decided to take the truck to a Ford Service center, they diagnosed that the truck needs radiator and Oil cooler replacement, though there was no coolant visible on the oil dip stick and the transmission oil dip stick, they said that the cylinder head gasket is not damage. The Oil cooler was replaced but the radiator i installed was for a lincoln which is thinner than the original expi radiator, it fits perfectly fine but there is at least 3 inch of gap from the radiator and the AC condenser, so the mechanic suggest to put a foam in between so the air will flow correctly in both the rad and the condenser. I had everything fixed as what Ford Diagnosed thought i didn't went to them to fix the truck coz im a little bit short with money, the truck runs smoothly and i noticed that there was no more delays on the engines power when i rev it up on the freeway unlike when im having overheating problems. so i thought it was fixed until summer came (which at peak the temp go as high as 50 degrees), just 2 weeks ago the truck overheated again, i was just parked beside the road for 1 hour with AC on and engine is running and i noticed that the engine is like misfiring and and acting weird and also became somewhat noisy, after 30 mins it stopped running, my truck wouldn't go even if i rev it up, i parked instantly and noticed that the coolant reservoir is boiling, so i let the truck stay for 3 hours and finally got it running again as before when i cooled down. but every now and then specially when im idle i feel that the engine is acting weird and noisy, but its not overheating. the mechanic who helped me said i should put a cooling fan in front of the rad. will that fix the problem of overheating? i had recently removed the catalytic converter and the noise was gone, but still when im idle i fill that the engine is failing, should i replace the spark plugs? i don't see any leaks from the radiator and on the engine but still theres a spoonful of dark milky like oil inside the coolant reservoir, the mechanic said may be its just a leftover from the hoses when we replaced the radiator and the Oil cooler, what do you think i should do? thanks a have a nice day. =)

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you have a single core radiator in place of a dual core, how do expect it to cool in those summer temps? You'll keep overheating. What mix of coolant/antifreeze are you using? Pay closer attention to your gauges and the truck will live longer, instead of waiting for it to quit.

robbieg

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Your first problem is the smaller radiator, you need to go back to the oem size. Second you said it over heated while idling for an hour. Idling is one of the hardest times on the cooling system because you don't have any air going through the radiator from movement so you are relying completely on the fan, at the same time your fan is moving the least amount of air because your at idle so less revolutions. When everything is right it should be able to keep up but with a smaller radiator it could easily overheat. Also you need to check your fan clutch to make sure its locking up properly and check the thermostat as well, if its stuck or not opening properly that will cause problems too. The loss of power you are experiencing is likely the fail safe mode kicking in to protect the engine, on the Triton engines if there is an overheat condition detected only 4 of the 8 cylinders fire alternately. At the same time the 4 that are not firing are acting as an air pump to help cool the engine.

OP
OP
J

josephgil

Reaction score
Thanks guys, atleast i have an idea of whats happening, but then, will a dual Fan installed on the radiator helps for now? till i get the old rad fix. coz here in my place, Ford trucks are 3rd class vehicles, so spare parts like radiators are rare thats why we still order abroad, coz original parts sold here are unreasonable especially if you compare the price to US plus the shipping cost , plus Ford's service center is notorious for over pricing, thats why i opt to go local mechanics, though the only thing they lack are proper service area and tools for ford vehicles, Cause land cruisers are the preferred truck here. anyway ill take note of the fan clutch and the temp gauges. by the way i use GM brand for the antifreeze, last thing tho, i noticed a hissing sound just right under pcv hosses, i think its coming from the intake manifold, is it normal?