In need of a new SUV

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hunter991

Reaction score
I am new to this forum but have questions about a new Expy. (2017 or 2018)

I currently own a 2010 Toyota Sequioa but i want to upgrade. I do tow boats and have a 5000lb ski boat that gets towed in the summer and snowmobiles in the winter. I am looking for a good reliable SUV. I haven't been keen on GM products and research says they aren't built that well so they are out., but the new expy has really caught my eye. I also live in a state where winter brings us quite a bit of snow *Wisconsin). So 4x4 is essential.

My question is, is the Expy a good reliable vehicle. I am not that interested in a new sequioa due to its outdated gas mileage and styling. They haven't changed a thing in 7 years. I love the way the Ford looks and it fits my needs. But i still worry if i am buying an SUV that will only last 100k miles before the thing falls apart. I have 100k on my sequioa now and haven't had a single problem with it since i bought it new in 2010. i have had a few Ford's in my life all of which were good vehicles except for my 2006 F150 which was a nightmare. Worst truck i have ever had.

Can anyone give me an honest opinion on the Ford brand? Specifically the new expeditions? What the problems are, what i can expect if i buy one? I know this forum may be brand biased but looking for honest opinions.

brick

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a 2003 Expy with just over 200,000 miles and a 2016 with 7,000 miles. The 2003 has been great. Normal maintenance only. The 2016 EcoBoost gets much better mileage, quick, and tows like a freight train. I am getting 10.9 mpg towing a 6000 lb boat at 70 mph.
brick

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
theres an article that named the expedition as the most reliable light truck with the most examples over 200k miles. no mechanical problems with my navi, and ive seen that the expy probably much better than the sequoia does

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had a 2005 Expedition, I was the 5th owner. I kept it for 3-1/2 years It had 146,000 + miles on it when I traded it for my 2017 Expedition. If the money hadn't worked out I would have kept it another 2-3 years. I had no major issues with it during the time that I owned it, just oil changes and normal wear and tear stuff, bearings, brakes, tires, etc. I can tell you that the 3.5 EcoBoost is head and shoulders better than the three valve Triton 5.4. V8. It is faster, quieter, and better fuel mileage. I only have 430 miles on it so far as I don't drive it every day but I will be taking it on several long trips this summer. It is so comfortable to drive that I'm actually looking forward to those 8 hour drives.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Im at 164k mi...runs good, no concerns

One thing though: you DO know they changed very close to nothing (except the v6 ecoboost, front grille / bumper, and dash backlight) in 10 years now for the Expedition?

OP
OP
H

hunter991

Reaction score
Didn't know that, but the eco is a big change. I am hearing people get a legit 21 mpg on hway. That is 4 mpg more than my current truck.

Flexpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Here is what he is referring to regarding changing the dash backlight. Here is the old dash"backlight"
007-ford-expedition-xlt-2wd-suv-instrument-cluster.png

Here is the new "backlight" What a difference a light bulb makes, huh?

new-2017-ford-expedition-limited4x4-8545-15525394-24-1024.jpg

Tough to get a dealer to let you do a 3-4 day unlimited mileage test drive, so my advice would be to rent one and see if its right for you. Hitch up your boat and take it for a drive. A potential $500 rental mistake beats a $50K purchase. Not sure where in Wisconsin you are, but most Hertz locations have an Expedition on the lot, as do some other agencies.

Zero issues with my 08, same with my other Fords. If I were in the market for a replacement, I'd personally wait for the 2018.

07xln

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had a 2000 model I got 120K out of before I sold it and only issue I had was one coil pack took a dump and needed replacing. I have a 2017 Limited EL now and its great. I tow a 35' toyhauler with mine pretty regularly and it pulls it just fine. The Ecoboost is something special. I'm not crazy about the way the 2018 looks but had I known it was getting a motor with quite a bit more power than the 17 model I probably would have waited and gotten the new model.

Unlike our pal ExpeditionAndy up there I drive mine. I got mine in September and just hit 7k miles on it. Its a damn good truck

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If I were in the market for a replacement, I'd personally wait for the 2018.
I bought the 17 because it is the last year of the model, it has the most options, the best rebates and discounts and almost zero problems. I would never buy the first year of a new model. They will have a lot of bugs to work out and I'm sure they will be very proud of it so the price is going to high and inflexible for a while. :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
savbraze