INFURIATING bearing/tire?? issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
T

TORNIT07

Reaction score
correct setting the toe wont change the caster / camber. Camber can affect toe, thats why first you adjust caster/camber and toe last

what you got we called a "set the toe and let it go"

the only thing alignment wise that could cause the noise is if the camber and or toe was WAY off the caster isnt a tire wearing angle, just for directional control only

the easiest way to explain caster is think of a bicycle front wheel. the steering tube pivot is your upper ball joint, the wheel axle is the lower ball joint.

The axle is always in front the upper pivot, thats how you are able to ride a bike no handed

same principle for a auto

I highly highly doubt your noise has anything to do with the alignment

Toe & go....EXACTLY what I got!
After I replace the upper control arm/ball joint assemblies, and complete strut assemblies, I'm going to really need to find a shop that will do a proper alignment. I would say dealership, but, have had them really screw up on my front end in the past...I imagine a full, proper alignment will be more than the $60.00 I paid the last time!

OP
OP
T

TORNIT07

Reaction score
The OP said that he already replaced several different bad bearings on that wheel. He doesn't understand why it's happening. The original post said the bearings only last a short time, then they start making noise and the rear seals go out on them. It almost sounds like the hub assembly is mismatched.

The first two bearings made noise right from GO! But, the rear seals began to leak within a week or so...both were MOOG's. Then, MOTORCRAFT, which was faulty, as I could feel a couple flat/rough spots turning by hand. Was told this was "normal" even though I know better, but, installed it and no good...noise from day one. Also, ABS and RCS lights come on 98% of the time since this issue began. Next, a DURALAST bearing, which had exact same part number as the MOOG's...noise/dash lights from day one. Now, I have a TIMKIN hub assembly....same darn problem. I haven't attempted to return it to Rock Auto as yet, because I no longer know if that's the issue or not. How can FIVE bearings all be defective...although, three in a row obviously were. The MOOG's & MC bearings.

With the DURALAST having same number as the MOOG's....could it have rolled off the same assembly line & be defective? But, the TIMKIN seems to be a high quality bearing/hub assembly. Made in the USA unlike all the others. I will report this, the vibration/noise has now begun to get worse...I can definitely feel it in the brake pedal AND steering wheel. The noise at 50 mph makes my ears ring! I have to keep it below 48 mph or over 54 mph.

I also considered what you said, about the hub assembly being misaligned somehow. But, I torqued it proper and true each time. I am thinking, I will swap the hub assembly from passenger side and see if noise goes with the hub....if so, then by golly, it IS the bearing. If not, then my issue is something else. Yes, I think I will do this.

OP
OP
T

TORNIT07

Reaction score
to check for a noisy bearing

jack up and take off the offending side wheel

take the caliper off (recommended)or at least push the piston back so that the rotor can spin freely with no pads rubbing it

then spin the hub and check for noise. Sometimes a stethoscope can help isolate. Then do the other side to compare the noise emitted. You should be able to tell if there is a noisy bearing. Sometimes it will only show up when the bearing is loaded but you can usually tell

I'm going to do one better, unless, when I get the rotor/caliper off it's apparent that the bearing is bad. I'm going to swap the passenger side hub assembly with the driver side. They are interchangeable...if noise follows, bearing IS bad. If not....next?

OP
OP
T

TORNIT07

Reaction score
...and he has 2WD

I dont know about it being mismatched but its a remote possibility that the steering knuckle is damaged somehow

This is another thought that has gone through my head. All the roads around here are undergoing major construction, lots of deep pot holes and I've hit a few. But, can the knuckle actually be damaged by a pot hole? I can see a lower CA, or other "soft" component, but, the knuckle is thick, solid...what...steel, IDK.

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I also considered what you said, about the hub assembly being misaligned somehow. But, I torqued it proper and true each time. I am thinking, I will swap the hub assembly from passenger side and see if noise goes with the hub....if so, then by golly, it IS the bearing. If not, then my issue is something else. Yes, I think I will do this.
That problem is just so weird. Well if you switch the hub to the other side and the problem moves that that might indicate hub but if it stays on the the left then maybe that indicates that the knuckle is bent warped, drilled wrong or something. It just shouldn't be that hard to solve.

The other thing that it sounds like is you have a harmonic vibration of some sort, which is why it is worse at certain speeds. The other thing that you said is when you turn left the noise goes away and that makes me think that you are unloading the bearing by de compressing it takes some of the slop out of it. Maybe the bearing isn't fitting correctly in the raceway and it's a little tight?

Good bearing should roll very smoothly and have absolutely no roughness to them. They are supposed to be precision made.

Again, just something else to think about.

Big Brian

Full Access Members
Reaction score
to check for a bent steering knuckle, have the alignment shop check for SAI

this means steering axis inclination, they measure the geometry of the front wheels as they are turned lock-to-lock.

I think this is probably rarely done anymore as I have not done an alignment in probably 15 years.

This is usually done for problems with steering pull or odd wearing tires, neither or which you have

I was thinking more about the bearing assembly mount in the knuckle as being a possible problem

I just mentioned SAI because its interesting.

swapping the hub assembly side to side is a good idea.

Also bearing assembly's feeling rough right out of the box is not an abnormal thing. Sometimes the bearings need to break in, what I mean by that is they have to seat in the races and also the grease can settle depending on how long its been sitting on a shelf, I would not say one is bad just by feeling it after taking it out of the box

like I said I would take the caliper off and just spin the hub, if the bearing is bad you will know it

OP
OP
T

TORNIT07

Reaction score
That problem is just so weird. Well if you switch the hub to the other side and the problem moves that that might indicate hub but if it stays on the the left then maybe that indicates that the knuckle is bent warped, drilled wrong or something. It just shouldn't be that hard to solve.

The other thing that it sounds like is you have a harmonic vibration of some sort, which is why it is worse at certain speeds. The other thing that you said is when you turn left the noise goes away and that makes me think that you are unloading the bearing by de compressing it takes some of the slop out of it. Maybe the bearing isn't fitting correctly in the raceway and it's a little tight?

Good bearing should roll very smoothly and have absolutely no roughness to them. They are supposed to be precision made.

Again, just something else to think about.

"Harmonic vibration"....yes, that is exactly the word I couldn't recall at time of posting, but that is exactly right. Turning left with sound going away is classic bearing failure...at least in my experiences. It's been raining pretty steady here the past couple days, so haven't gone out to swap bearings yet.

Oh, I posted that the Michelin's were 265's....no. They are 275/65/18 LTX--AT-2 where OEM were 255/70/18
Only reason I didn't go back with stock size was because I got such a super deal on this set from a....friend.

OP
OP
T

TORNIT07

Reaction score
to check for a bent steering knuckle, have the alignment shop check for SAI

this means steering axis inclination, they measure the geometry of the front wheels as they are turned lock-to-lock.

If I haven't resolved the problem by alignment time, I will request they check this for sure.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ImWearingPants