Intake systems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

J Ski

3.5plati
Reaction score
anyone running k&n, air raid, or other aftermarket intake systems on their ecoboost expys? Looking to help her breath a little better since she refuses to diet and lose weight. I know options are limited as well as brands so thought I'd ask. As always, thanks for advice

Neilster1

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The common consensus is that you won't get much benefit without a tune. A bunch of people are going to chime in shortly and say otherwise, and just as many will share my opinion. I came here from the diesel side of things.. and in my experience there using a different intake without a tune to handle the extra air actually hurts performance.

YMMV.. and it is your truck. Do what you want.

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The common consensus is that you won't get much benefit without a tune. A bunch of people are going to chime in shortly and say otherwise, and just as many will share my opinion. I came here from the diesel side of things.. and in my experience there using a different intake without a tune to handle the extra air actually hurts performance.

Dyno test prove you to be right.

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm running k&n with programmer and exhaust... need to do efans

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

07xln

Full Access Members
Reaction score

Apples and oranges

Your experience with a diesel engine in no way translates to a gas motor. Plus a tune by itself can net hundreds of hp and tq on diesels where on a gas motor you're lucky if you can get a fraction of that out of a tune. The bulk of the time in the diesel world oem exhaust is replaced with with straight pipe, more free flowing down pipes are installed, egr's are removed etc etc. Of course if you do that a tune is needed to dial it all in. But simply swapping out your oem paper filter for a K&N drop in or maybe even a "cold air" intake isn't going to require a tune.

Dyno test prove you to be right.

Links to said dyno tunes please.

Its been proven time and time again through dyno runs and real world results that a more free flowing filter produces more power. Sure in most cases its probably in the 5-10hp range and probably not enough to feel but its still there.

K&N didn't become a billion dollar company by selling snake oil. Just sayin

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Links to said dyno tunes please.

Its been proven time and time again through dyno runs and real world results that a more free flowing filter produces more power. Sure in most cases its probably in the 5-10hp range and probably not enough to feel but its still there.

K&N didn't become a billion dollar company by selling snake oil. Just sayin

CAI on Turbo Engines - you have to look for the comparison showing before and after very few show the before so they are very subjective. It appears that in order to get a real HP boost you need to add a tuner as well as the CAI. CAI does give an HP boost on a naturally aspirated engine but not on a turbo unless you add a tuner.

Showed a 1% increase in power, they said you need a 10% increase to notice it. Watch the last 3-1/2 minutes or so.

This shows you get more power with the CAI and a 93 Octane SCT tuner

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
As someone who has a bit of experience with turbos & superchargers, that's a no brainer. The pump, be it turbo or supercharger) is going to pump regardless of the intake provided it's been properly engineered to allow enough air past the filter at ambient temps and normal altitudes. (Many of the WW2 fighter engines overcame low flight ceilings by adding superchargers because they don't falter as do normally aspirated engines at high alts)

We did a bunch of experiments with CAI's on the SLK 15 years ago and found the only ones that worked, plumbed them from outside the engine compartment with very large bore tubing to overcome the friction losses. In the end, it just wasn't practical for those of us that wanted to remain "stock appearing". Worth at max, 2-3HP on a supercharged SLK compared to a stock airbox with a K&N installed...FWIW compared to our trucks.

If you really want increased power, the simplest, least expensive bang-for-the-buck method is by raising the boost pressures....but why?

jeff

07xln

Full Access Members
Reaction score
CAI on Turbo Engines - you have to look for the comparison showing before and after very few show the before so they are very subjective. It appears that in order to get a real HP boost you need to add a tuner as well as the CAI. CAI does give an HP boost on a naturally aspirated engine but not on a turbo unless you add a tuner.

Showed a 1% increase in power, they said you need a 10% increase to notice it. Watch the last 3-1/2 minutes or so.

This shows you get more power with the CAI and a 93 Octane SCT tuner

I'm now convinced you just like hearing yourself talk or in this case reading your own posts. You basically just reiterated what I said. I said that the gains aren't enough to feel but there are still gains never the less.

The F150 video what is that? That doesn't prove anything accept you can make more power with a tuner which again I never disputed.

Jeez every freakin thread on this forum turns into a damn argument. OP asks if anybody is running a intake then all the sudden all the financial advisers come out and start telling the guy how to spend his money.