Interior LED Conversion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BigHoss89

Reaction score
Got a led kit for my 99 EB Expy off of eBay. Unfortunately, it only came with the ones to do the front half of the interior, under the hood, the steps, and the license plate bulbs. the back seats and cargo are the bar type. still was only $12 after shipping for 20 led bulbs off eBay. You use to be able to get the bar types at most auto parts stores (can probably get them online cheaper). Sorry that I don't have before pictures, pretty disappointed I didn't get them because it is a huge difference! Install took about an hour. A pointer when doing the rear seats and cargo lights that I wish I would have had know before I started them. Take the clear plastic lenses off the front of the fixtures that you pull from the ceiling don't try taking the backs off. as for the overhead console, the bulbs twist out. One last thing if you have steps that you're doing and/or the license plate bulbs, MAKE SURE you use dialectic grease! they won't last through one day of driving in the rain otherwise.

P.S Don't forget your glove box! :)

Expy.LED.jpg

Expy.LED2.jpg

David Simmons

Reaction score
You know how to change out steering wheel (cruise) bulbs? Need to change them to red to match my leds on dash was going to start new thread figured maybe I could add it lol

OP
OP
BigHoss89

BigHoss89

Reaction score
P s mine had leds like yours pre installed from previous owner so bright I love it

I don't, but hopefully, I will soon. Gonna switch my dash, and window button lights to blue. The only ones I don't know how to do yet are the steering wheel lights. As soon as I know ill fill you in.

David Simmons

Reaction score
I don't, but hopefully, I will soon. Gonna switch my dash, and window button lights to blue. The only ones I don't know how to do yet are the steering wheel lights. As soon as I know ill fill you in.
Thanks just got my dash lights in today putting in tomorrow will let you know if I figure out steering wheel too

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

darmahsd

Full Access Members
Reaction score
When my '05 OEM interior lights go out after shutting
the door, they dim out. Do these LED replacements
have a dimming characteristic? I know from buying
household LED's, you have to look on the box to
make sure they have a dimming feature so they will
work with you dimmer switch.
Stephen

OP
OP
BigHoss89

BigHoss89

Reaction score
When my '05 OEM interior lights go out after shutting
the door, they dim out. Do these LED replacements
have a dimming characteristic? I know from buying
household LED's, you have to look on the box to
make sure they have a dimming feature so they will
work with you dimmer switch.
Stephen

I'm not sure on that my fellow Expy owner. I would assume not being they were $12 including shipping for 20 of them. Surprisingly, they seem to be holding up to the conditions well.

darmahsd

Full Access Members
Reaction score
OK. So if the LED's don't dim out on your truck, did the
original bulb set? Looks like you have a first gen. I had a '97, but I don't remember if the interior lights dim out like on my current '05 or just shut off. If your electronics on
the first gen had the dimming feature on the interior
lights berore you replaced with LED's and now they
don't dim off, at least I know that they don't ruin the
LED bulbs. No big deal if my interior bulbs don't dim
out with the LED replacements. I'd rather have more
light in there than the dimming feature.
Thanks

OP
OP
BigHoss89

BigHoss89

Reaction score
OK. So if the LED's don't dim out on your truck, did the
original bulb set? Looks like you have a first gen. I had a '97, but I don't remember if the interior lights dim out like on my current '05 or just shut off. If your electronics on
the first gen had the dimming feature on the interior
lights berore you replaced with LED's and now they
don't dim off, at least I know that they don't ruin the
LED bulbs. No big deal if my interior bulbs don't dim
out with the LED replacements. I'd rather have more
light in there than the dimming feature.
Thanks

Yes mine is a 1st gen, and no they never dimmed out when exiting the vehicle. Yes, the brightness is definitely awesome! Also, I like how they draw a huge amount less than the filament bulbs, means a lot less stress on the alternator and the battery. It's easy to forget exactly how many lights are on these vehicles anymore!