Is Darth Vader hiding in the cargo area?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Motomike67

Reaction score
Just bought my 2005 Expedition XLT 4WD and drove it from St. Louis to Chicago. While enroute, I kept hearing a "breathing" sound coming from, what turned to be my cargo area. It sounded as if the Dark Lord himself had stowed away in my vehicle.

Eventually my wife and I, during a stop for gas, closed in on the source. Nope, not Vader! A vented area on the right rear inner plastic panel in the cargo area. I could see what looked to be an electric fan and 2 black "hydraulic" looking hoses.

Is this part of the air ride suspension system? If so, what's with the Darth Vader impression? Checked the owner's manuel and found that there's supposed to be a shut off for the air suspension. Checked that panel and only the fuel reset is there. No shut off!

Any suggestions?

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
On the right side is the rear heat/AC unit There is a temperature blend door and a mode door actuator located there It could be possible that the mode door is acting up That is the door that diverts air flow to the floor or to the overhead vents.
Normally when one or both of the actuators go bad you will hear a clicking sound