Is there a Triton V8 dedicated flex/ethanol/E85 tune?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
And if there is, how could I tell if I maybe already have it? And if yes, then is filling regular when E85 isnt available just inefficient, or actively bad for it???

Why? well....My truck seems to run WAAY smoother, quieter, and even faster on Californian E85... add a lot of Regular or a full tank thereof, and motor starts ticking a bit, more vibrations, and acceleration is accompanied with a delay and a "whoosh" sound.... Good batch of E85, so smooth I sometimes can't tell if it's idling or off???

Truck used to be owned by the Forestry Service, and I know there's a push for ethanol in certain government organizations...

Flexpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm not understanding the question. All 2009 and up Expeditions were E85 Flex Fuel capable.

Globally E85 is 85% ethanol and 15% gasoline, thus the name.
USA is different - the ethanol number changes to anything between 51-83% and remainder gasoline.

California E85 is a push for statewide retailers to the global E85 standard ratio. One benefit of California E85 is that it won't be subject the federal per gallon tax of 28 cents. It'll be a lower tax, like 10 cents.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You should have a yellow gas cap or sticker on a capless I believe if it is E85 capable. should also have a flex fuel badge on the back. It's a shame the E85 movement has died out, all the gas stations in NY stopped carrying it and if they did most now carry ETHANOL FREE gas in its place believe it or not! I though it was a good idea, you can make endless supply of ethanol cheaply and the motors run good on it. Probably burns very clean too. Unfortunately it was so much more expensive than gas and brings worse efficiency so nobody bought it. They sell Flex Fuel conversions for most engines I believe if you REALLY wanted it that bad.

deweysmith

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yeah, when oil shot up and made gas $3.50+/gal E85 was profitable for the corporation and the consumer, win/win. Now that gas prices have calmed back down it's a waste of your money, it's got like 30% less free energy so no matter how efficient the motor you're still gonna get at least 30% worse gas mileage. Not necessarily. Did some research, tuning can account for a lot of this but it's still going to result in lower mileage.

That's why there's now a demand for ethanol-free… It has 5-7% more free energy and is only marginally more expensive.

Muddy Bean

Full Access Members
Reaction score
2015 and up ecoboosts can’t use E-85 though right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
2015 and up ecoboosts can’t use E-85 though right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

No they can’t, most turbocharged engines are not flex fuel capable, I don’t know the reason. Higher cylinder pressures?

Last edited:

Flexpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Livernois has a 3.5L EcoBoost kit that allows for 100% E85. Includes a Firestorm pump and the flow difference over stock is significant. Pretty pricey and with performance in mind, so if your intention is for economy, look elsewhere.

Many EB F150 owners, bone stock, have found increased response/performance and city/highway mileage mixing their tank 50:50 E85 and regular. Unfortunately 99% of threads about flex fuel end up in chaos from armchair petroleum engineers who know somebody that once had a weedeater go bad on E85 back in 2004.

Link https://www.livernoismotorsports.com/product/LPP501124

deweysmith

Full Access Members
Reaction score
No they can’t, most turbocharged engines are not flex fuel capable, I don’t know the reason. Higher cylinder pressures?
That wouldn't make sense to me, ethanol is an octane booster so it's automatically more resistant to preignition.

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
My 2011 Mustang GT 5.0 is not E85 compatible. If there was some performance gain, it would be. Ethanol absorbs moisture and hard on certain metals and seals. E85 Ethanol gets 30% less mileage. It is not cheap enough to off set this. I drive a few extra miles and spent .30 cents more for Ethanol free fuel. The Ethanol "mandate", was another stupid Obama idea. It uses more energy to produce, than it saves. It raises food prices, because corn is used. Brazil uses a cane grass. Auto manufactures, can produce higher compression engines to benefit from it, but don't.