Is this the GEM? Door Ajar, TPMS and brake warning are fritzing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
F

Firemed57

Reaction score
Yes it is a 2008 and I am concerned about what they are telling me.

They offered to eat the cost of the Instrument cluster and replacement module since they missed the diagnosis. Still gonna cost for the "module" though.

The "module" they showed me was the fuse block from the passenger floorboard area. They said it is all built together nowadays..IE integrated fuses and modules. Anyways, I asked for spare parts and they said I can have that one, although not the instrument cluster.

It starts and runs great and I haven't noticed anything other than the original symptoms. I did take it to the tire shop to have the TPMS reset. It was function fine although it changed the pattern of warning lights on the cluster.

What would be your approach to this..as a customer. Don't want to offend, but don't want to be taken for a ride either. They have had it for 2 weeks as well....grrrr

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
First off I would ask them how they determined it was the instrument cluster that was at fault to begin with since multiple circuits are protected and controlled by the sjb.

If I have time later tonight I'll look over the wiring diagrams and post my 2 cents.

Also if you could make a video and post a link to it, it would help to see what it is doing.

The only way a new sjb module can fail is:
1)high voltage (alternator would have to be faulty or external battery charger)

2)excessive current draw - hard to prove this since all the circuits are supposed to be protected by physical or virtual fuses

3) reversed polarity - this would be hard to do - would really have to work at it

4) incorrectly wired circuits

I try to instill in the students I teach to prove an electrical part has failed before condemning it. ECMs in the heavy equipment world can run $2000 and up. That is an expensive mistake if you are wrong in your diagnosis.

What is your level of electrical & computer knowledge? I have a method of attack to your problem but you need a little understanding of how networks operate in order to jump into this. The two modules to look at are the audio control module and the antenna control module. Have any of the wires to those been cut or added onto? If so, which wires?
You may ask why look at those? The radio is on the network along with the instrument cluster, tpms module and sjb. You need to rule out a hack job on the radio install.

Last edited:
OP
OP
F

Firemed57

Reaction score
That would be great - appreciate the 2 cents and extra eyes.

The SJB is the part they are showing me below the dash. I still don't have the truck back so I cant make a video.

The only logical cause I can see is.

Alternator spikes - shop checked it out and said it was fine

Cigarette lighter phone charger caused an issue after i plugged it in

Incorrectly wired circuits. I know the alpine radio had been installed and working fine for several years prior. I did pull that fuse when I dropped the truck off. Maybe that can eliminate the problem.

I can understand networks at a basic level and computer skills are ok. I should be able to follow directions and check on those modules.

Thanks

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The networks that are on the vehicles today are very similar to the ethernet networks utilized for internet at work and home. Think of having 10-20 computers at home all networked to a razzle dazzle high end switch. Along comes Billy Bob and adds in his new stereo not aware that it is connected to the network. Of course he uses butt connectors and vampire taps to tie into existing lines. Well that just threw the signal timing out of the window plus added all kinds of interference on the wire. The switch say WTF and shuts down individual connections intermittently.
So....how was the radio installed? If new wires were run to all the speakers and none of the existing harness was modified you can rule that out as the cause.

Since you mentioned the alternator spiking that reminded me of another cause for the sjb to fail. If a connection is intermittent, the constant on/off will eventually kill the semiconductors.

It would be nice to know what is failing on the sjb.