JLT Oil Seperator

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
My dealer is very good. When I had my 2005 Ford Excursion with 6.0 diesel, they installed my EGR delete kit because they knew that the EGR's were killing the engines.

If I have any kind of issue, I can remove the oil separator in less than 15 minutes.

Exactly the same experience with mine. They didn’t do my EGR delete but they were OK with it there.

07xln

Full Access Members
Reaction score
There goes any and all warranty coverages...I know several people who have done this to their ecoboosts where I live and they have all been denied warranty coverage for their new vehicles. Good luck

I think you’ll run into a little more trouble with the dealer when you pull up with that blowoff valve vent to atmosphere mod you want to do.

A catch can won’t void anything

J Ski

3.5plati
Reaction score
I think you’ll run into a little more trouble with the dealer when you pull up with that blowoff valve vent to atmosphere mod you want to do.

A catch can won’t void anything
Yes it will and no I won’t. 1) because I had it on there and it easily removes in less than 2 minutes and you just reattach the BOV to intake tubing 2) bc I have since sold it bc it’s actually pretty annoying.

Putting that catch can is like any other aftermarket mod. Air intakes, exhausts, aftermarket intercoolers, they all good factory warranty. Key word “FACTORY” Good luck with talking a dealer into letting that slide when or if there’s an issue with something else down the road.

Jon P

Reaction score
Very nice, thanks for sharing. Love how you painted the lettering on the engine cover too Very cool. Which ink pens from Amazon did you use?

Muddy Bean

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Can anyone take a quick second to explain to this newbie what the oil separator is for? I have owned my '15 expedition for literally two days so I'm trying to come up to speed quickly on the various issues, mods, etc. I'm scouring the site with my spare time too.

EDIT: finally found some explanation on Google as to what it is. So do our Ecoboost trucks actually have known issues from PCV blowby?

07xln

Full Access Members
Reaction score
No known issues.

The issue is the direct port injection. The fuel doesn’t get sprayed over the valve so the valve doesn’t get cleaned. Carbon buildup is more of an issue with that type of injection. It doesn’t help when you have oil and gasses from the crank case being vented back into the intake and sitting in top of those valves.

Catch can or oil separator catches that oil before it goes back into the intake.

Good thing to have to insure the health of any motor. I have one on my CTSV but not on my Expedition yet

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
^ I second 07 on a catch can. Someone has told me it voids warranty on here though.

OP
OP
NASCAR Mike

NASCAR Mike

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Here is the link for the paint pens I used on my intake cover. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000WXBEP0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I brought my wife's 2008 Expy in for an inspection today. I asked them what would happen if I put an oil catch can on my 2017 Expy because of the carbon build up issue. They said it would not void my warranty because it was only filtering out oil vapors.

If you have doubts talk to your service manager and ask them their position on this.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
that's great to know because that mod will greatly improve the health of the engine over its life.