JLT Oil Seperator

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Should have worded it different... i meant like the winter weight vs running temp weight. 5 (Winter)-30 the W is an oil cold flow rating. He was claiming he uses 10W-30 which would mean a winter or “cold” flow weight of 10 instead of 5, which i thought was incorrect, which you verified. So basically when he starts his engine his oil is too resistive to flow and isn’t getting to everything as quick as it should.

Last edited:

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Should have worded it different... i meant like the winter weight vs running temp weight. 5 (Winter)-30 the W is an oil cold flow rating. He was claiming he uses 10W-30 which would mean a winter or “cold” flow weight of 10 instead of 5, which i thought was incorrect, which you verified.
I understand. Back in the day sometimes you would see in areas where it got really cold where cars would run 10W-30 in the summer and 5W-30 in the winter to get the oil to flow when it was -20 outside. :)

AllBoostNoEco

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I’d been on the fence about a catch can until today. I vented my BOV to atmosphere months ago, and then noticed today I’m actually getting drops on my driveway from the oil that’s being vented through it. Considering the BOV only vents maybe 1% of the time I spend driving, that’s a LOT of oil coming through the intake system.

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
Please post your oil analysis. I intend to have this done on my 17 Expedition as well. For curiosity if nothing else. I've done it with my 2006 Honda S2000 the three years I've owned it. Oil looks good at OEM maintenance schedule or annual before winter layup which may not happen this year since I'm now in Virginia. The Honda has a Maintenance Minder and computes oil change intervals. I've been running 10W30 Royal Purple in this engine. Will see what Ford puts in the truck.

I'm a believer that full synthetics are better lubricants. My wife's Subaru 3.6R has two oil change intervals and the full synthetic is twice as long as conventional oil. There's a lot of hype in motor oil but on the grand scheme of things full synthetics are a minimal extra cost.

BTW there an aftermarket dual catch can in the S2000. No blower and minimal oil caught since installation Another curiosity item. Engine is injected at the intake port so fuel is diluting any bypassed oil vapor anyway.

-- Chuck

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Please post your oil analysis. I intend to have this done on my 17 Expedition as well. For curiosity if nothing else. I've done it with my 2006 Honda S2000 the three years I've owned it. Oil looks good at OEM maintenance schedule or annual before winter layup which may not happen this year since I'm now in Virginia. The Honda has a Maintenance Minder and computes oil change intervals. I've been running 10W30 Royal Purple in this engine. Will see what Ford puts in the truck.

I'm a believer that full synthetics are better lubricants. My wife's Subaru 3.6R has two oil change intervals and the full synthetic is twice as long as conventional oil. There's a lot of hype in motor oil but on the grand scheme of things full synthetics are a minimal extra cost.

BTW there an aftermarket dual catch can in the S2000. No blower and minimal oil caught since installation Another curiosity item. Engine is injected at the intake port so fuel is diluting any bypassed oil vapor anyway.

-- Chuck
This was my 1000 mile Oil Analysis:

1000 Oil Analysis.JPG

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Odd.... you should see much more antifreeze in your oil, improves lubrication and cooling properties of your oil.... Your head gasket should free flow the antifreeze through to combustion as well to help with a pleasant smell of pancakes and syrup on a Saturday morning.

Last edited:

Muddy Bean

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So fuel percentage is slightly elevated along with most of the metals. Interesting. Would love to see the next lab report Andy. Please post it when it comes in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro