JUMPED MY BUDDY'S CAR, NOW A/C IS NOT WORKING

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

panama

Reaction score
Yesterday, my buddy called needing a jump. I went out in haste, jumped his car directly from my battery while my expedition was running. On the way home I noticed my cabin getting warmer, checked the a/c temp, adjusted it to the lowest temp, no joy, a/c completely out.

Any suggestion on where to start?.. Compressor runs when a/c engage via auto mode or manual but no a/c front or rear.

2008 expedition EL

Last edited:

Plati

Reaction score
What procedure did you use to jump it? Was your vehicle off when you connected battery? Did you connect plus & minus to his car first then minus directly to your battery then plus to your battery? Then start your Expy then his vehicle? How did disconnect procedure go? Didn't hook it up backwards by accident at all did you?

OP
OP
panama

panama

Reaction score
No, I hooked up correctly power to power, neg to neg. As far as the sequence, I can't recall, but my car was running the entire time while his battery charged for a few minutes. Done this hundreds of times over the past 30 years and never had an issue.

Plati

Reaction score
That's why I suspect it was just a coincidence, frequently a problem is observed and its associated with "the last thing to happen". Sometimes true, sometimes not. Either way, something is broken now and (as you well know) needs to be isolated. Sorry that doesn't help much.

Is that how you are sposed to hook up jumper cables?
I better study that, never did it like that.
Oh ... I see you don't remember sequence, sequence matters though.

http://www.dummies.com/home-garden/car-repair/how-to-jump-start-a-car/

https://www.yourmechanic.com/article/the-do-s-and-don-ts-of-jumpstarting-a-car

I carry one of these ... super handy.
I got it for backcountry extended camping.
longest lasting flashlight I ever had
It also fits snugly under rear of front passenger seat, like it was custom built for that space
http://www.cloreautomotive.com/sku.php?id=539

Last edited:

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If I read the op's post correctly it sounds as if the blower motor isn't functioning. Is that correct?

Atman246

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You said the a/c isn't working,as in no cold air blowing or no air blowing at all? If the blower isn't working,it could be a common fuse or relay. I'd highly doubt that both blowers are pooched. You said the a/c compressor cycles. If you're just getting hot air,then you've got a freon leak which is purely coincidental to the boosting the buddy's car. Good luck either way.

Plati

Reaction score
Shouldn't you connect negative to ground, not to the battery? Still, probably just a coincidence.
that's just to avoid sparking setting off hydrogen gas from battery to explosion but batteries are all sealed nowadays so less of an issue?

Last edited:

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The fact that your A/C compressor is engaging, and feeling warm air blowing at you, kinda eliminates power, switch, blower motors, all but freon. But the question begs why? I've never heard of a vehicle losing a full charge of freon like that. Is it possible you lost the freon charge over the past few weeks, and being dead of winter, never used it. Anyhoo, you or a shop needs to throw a set of R134 gauges on your ports and see what your high and low pressure is. Again unless you've sparked something real bad, the chances of blowing something electrical are pretty slim. Let us know, were all curious, this is one for the books!

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The AC has high and low side pressure switches to protect the compressor. If the system charge was lost the compressor would not cycle.

Some people mistake the compressor pulley spinning for the compressor spinning. So we need more accurate info to help the OP.