junk yard upgrade questions.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lunchboxlust

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I found some stuff at the junk yard and wondering what it would take to get it in my car.

I found an first gen expy eb with rear vent windows that still has the console in it with the mpg/ compass display. Also has leather electric front seats with heat and the mid split bench in leather... The seats look real good but aren't the same color as mine. I'm willing to put up with that. I recently had all my interior all out so I know that I didn't see the electrical wiring in the back for the windows but I'm not sure if the electrical for the windows switches and the display are in the front. I wonder if the plugs that are in my head liner are plug and play for the other electronics. It also has the digital heater controls that go under the radio. My expy has the separate rear heat and the eb at the junk yard doesn't so I don't know if it is compatible. Also I don't know if the digital controls are meant for duel zones like left and right or not. If it is i don't think that that would work.
I also found a 2003 that has heated side mirrors with the courtesy lights in the bottom and turn signals. I know that I would have to tap in to wiring for the turns but what about the courtesy lights and the heat? I already have power mirrors so I don't know? It also had a real nice steering wheel that looks like it has barley been touched. Looks just like mine Sept mine is real ugly and my cruse doesn't work. I'm wondering if i can just remove my steering wheel and replace it with this one?
Lastly is I found a 4 door f150 with the thick vinyl rug it looks like it might just fit all the way to behind the mid row seats just like the stock rug in the expy. Maybe it would drop in? also It had realy nice tinted front glass. The tint would match the same that I have on my rear. It would be nice to have the fronts match.

Sooo. I have done a little searching and I can find that people have done some of thees changes but no write ups or this is what is missing and you have to get as well type of thing. I know that I have found someone that had something on the upgraded console and I think the vent windows as well but I have a new laptop and don't have any of my book marks and cant find it. Same with the side mirrors. I think the guys name starts with a b like briceexpedition or something. Cant recall but a post says he did it but doesn't really say what he had to do.

Will the windows and the rug out of the f150 fit?

I'm looking for any links that people have, video or knowledge on any of these things. I can get all the parts for $120 if I leave my old parts but I have to take them all at once to get that price. I'm not looking to tear apart 2 more expeditions and an f150 as well as mine if I cant used some of the parts.
I figure I can get the rug out of the f150 into mine in an hour /hour and a half and get the seats out of the junk yard expy and in mine in 20 minuets if I have all my seats Sept the drivers unbolted already. Taking the head liners down is the time consuming part. You have to have all panels out to drop the head liner without damaging it. I can have mine out before I go but I cant stand it when people destroy other parts just to get what they need at junk yards so I cant bring myself to just tear it apart.
As it sits also my auto dim mirror has stopped working. It still shows compass and temp but wont dim so ill grab one of them too.

Any and all Info is welcomed. Thank you all for reading my ramblings once again.

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My advice it to keep your parts until the swap is complete. It'll cost you more, but then you aren't buying your parts back if the swap doesn't work out.

Can't really help on those other questions though.

Best of luck to you. I love going to junkyards. I haven't doing much in the way of "upgrading" mine from a junkyard though- just mostly replacing parts.

z168

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ive seen one up close. Never got to ask how he did it. But it looked flush

375412303t-tow-mirrors-2003-screw-image-2152743096.jpg

Looks doable → click

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
^first tow mirrors on an Expedition that I like. The others I've seen on here look too big.