Just upgraded from 1999 XLT to 2017 Platinum....questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sjwelds

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So yeah, a misfire is definitely a warranty issue. Just sayin'.

Shouldn't matter what octane you use, there SHOULD NOT BE A MISFIRE.

bobmbx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
But in todays world a turbocharger and supercharger are two different things. It just doesn't look or sound right when you use both terms to describe one or the other

Carry on :biggrin:

No, they are not. They both are designed to perform the exact same function: Put compressed air into a cylinder to increase power.

The difference between them is their source of power. One is attached to the crank via a belt or chain, the other used exhaust gasses. After that, their function is exactly the same. They are both forced induction systems.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Kinda sounds like they sold you a known lemon.

3.5 turbo EB should FLY compared to an old high mileage 4.6.

Make the bastards fix it or give you another truck if they cant.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve driven 3.5s and they should not feel sluggish especially if your on the thruway, and i agree a misfire is a warranty issue take your truck in and ask it be fixed. A misfire can really slow you down, my truck just had one because i shorted a COP, thought i killed a tranny, i must have been over reacting and overthinking because it was shifting weird cold. But with the misfire my truck didn’t have anywhere near the power it usually has.

Last edited:

Muddy Bean

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Mine did this today during a floored throttle. Got a misfire code. Will take it in at some point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mine did this today during a floored throttle. Got a misfire code. Will take it in at some point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Did it feel sluggish or different than the norm?

Last edited:

Boose

2017 Platinum EL
Reaction score
Hello,

(2) Going from a 4.6L to a 3.5L EB, during heavy acceleration on the highway, I almost all the time, can get the check engine light to blink and the car feels sluggish. One time the engine light stayed on and I took it into the dealer and they said that it was a misfire. Anyone else experience this ?

Westin

Congrats on the new ride! I just took delivery of my 17 EL Platinum and am in love with it. I would definitely have the dealer check out the truck regarding the blinking check engine light. When a check engine light blinks, it's typically a condition that can damage the catalytic converters. Typically a lean condition I believe.The sluggishness you feel is probably the ECM backing off the timing to save parts from grenading... either way, it's not right and should be addressed.

I have mine going back to the dealer this week to get a wind noise addressed. It sounds like the drivers window is not up all the way and creates a very annoying noise right next to my ear... sounds silly but these trucks are not cheap and should function 100% off the dealer lot.

Good luck and keep us posted!

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
It is not good to "floor" a new engine. It is breaking in.
Thanks everyone for your feedback.

Yes, I bought this new and today it's only got a little over 1000 miles.
I believe it's 91 octane (Costco) fuel. But I'll try to get 93 and see what happens when I floor it.
I've been trying to slightly wind up the turbo at red lights so I can "launch" without lag and it seems to be working. Guess it's just getting used to it.
I suppose I'll also get used to not having a gas cap. It just feels strange.

But so far, I'm liking the Expedition. Comfy, quiet. Also trying to get used to the differences between Android Auto and the already on board apps. I was really hoping that the Google Maps from my Android phone would simply work and display on the car but it doesn't. I'll figure it out.

Thanks again !
It is not good idea to "floor it", on a motor that is breaking in. Spooling up at red lights is a bit much also. Your CEL maybe the rev limiter activating. It intentionally misfires engine to reduce power. The EB motor supposedly has very little "lag". That sounds like the "damp weather" power loss issue.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A CEL shouldn’t be the rev limiter, when I floor mine I’ve never gotten a light and it revs right to redline before a shift. Wide Open Throttle should operate normally and is no reason for a CEL.

Last edited:

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
A CEL shouldn’t be the rev limiter, when I floor mine I’ve never gotten a light and it revs right to redline before a shift. Wide Open Throttle should operate normally and is no reason for a CEL.
Manually shift to a lower gear, hold your gas pedal down(if you dare). You can experience the rev limiter. This guy sounds like someone, driving a rental car. Who, knows what he is doing?