Just Upgraded to a 2017 EL

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just traded in my 2005 EB Expedition and picked up new 2017 Limited Expedition EL. We signed the papers on Saturday and I picked it up this afternoon. The dealership offered a 10 year Ziebart super rust protection, underbody sound barrier , Diamond gloss paint protection, ultra fabric protection and leather conditioner, and Aquapel glass treatment. The package includes taking it back to Ziebart annually so they can check the rust protection and reapply the other treatments - with this package it is free for 10 years. Since my last Expedition had rust issues with the radiator supports, both rocker panels, and part of the passenger side floor board, I wanted to make sure that I delayed or at least heavily curtailed any rust issues with my new baby.

Its got the V6 Ecoboost engine which has plenty of power and is pretty peppy compared to the 5.4 L Triton 3 valve V8.

These are pictures from Saturday's test drive. It's dirty because it was sitting on the lot. By the time I got home it was already starting to get dark. I'll take some good pictures tomorrow.

White wasn't my first choice but it became my choice because it was the only EL on the lot and its loaded. If I had ordered it I would have probably picked the Bluejeans color but I wouldn't have changed anything else.

I'm putting Firestone Destination ATs with raised outline letters on it tomorrow. I think that will dress it up a little. The white is the White Platinum Metallic Tri-coat so it has that going for it. :)

IMG_5172.JPG IMG_5170.JPG IMG_5171.JPG IMG_5174.JPG IMG_5176.JPG

Last edited:

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
View attachment 19163 View attachment 19163 2-19-17 T1.jpg Congratulations Andy!

I took my '03EB off the road when the tranny began slipping just before I got mine. Pretty much the same except since my kids are grown and I live alone, I opted for the standard length. I know that you probably haven't had much of a chance to "go through" everything yet since you just picked it up but if you guys get deep snow out there, be sure to remove the "dam" under the front end. I read that there are 6 or 8 twist tabs that hold it on and removing it allows you to traverse deep snow without damaging the front end body work.

I am close to 8K on mine and I washed it over the weekend and it still doesn't have a single chip in the White Platinum Metallic tri-coat, not one which I'm real happy about since most of my driving is highway.

You are going to love that truck!

Congrats again!

jeff
View attachment 19161

2-19-17 T4.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
ExpeditionAndy

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks Jeff,

I fly radio controlled airplanes. I have at least one that has a one piece 8' wing so this will allow me to carry it with out having to stick it through the front seats. I also haul a lot of stuff for me and for family so I wanted the extra room.

I like your black wheels. Mine came with the same tires, but I'm changing them out for Firestone Destination ATs with raised white letters I think it will make it look a little sportier and then I'm going to put these on Craig's list.

My 05 was still running good but we make a couple trips a year the Harrisburg PA area and it had that cam phaser rattle. I think it would have lasted another 20,000 miles before it needed that work but the rocker panels were rusted through on both sided and the passenger side I could have put my finger through if I had pushed hard enough. On top of that the radiator support was like swiss cheese. I figured it was going to cost over $9,000 to do everything to it that it needed and then I would still have a 12 year old truck.

I caught a great sale on my truck, it was $100 below invoice plus it had $5,200 in rebates. I feel I got a good deal on it and I am happy. :)

GeezingInVA

Reaction score
I just traded in my 2005 EB Expedition and picked up new 2017 Limited Expedition EL. We signed the papers on Saturday and I picked it up this afternoon. The dealership offered a 10 year Ziebart super rust protection, underbody sound barrier , Diamond gloss paint protection, ultra fabric protection and leather conditioner, and Aquapel glass treatment. The package includes taking it back to Ziebart annually so they can check the rust protection and reapply the other treatments - with this package it is free for 10 years. Since my last Expedition had rust issues with the radiator supports, both rocker panels, and part of the passenger side floor board, I wanted to make sure that I delayed or at least heavily curtailed any rust issues with my new baby.

Nice new ride. I have a 2016 Exp Limited, although not the EL, in the same paint color. After 20 months with it hauling our horse trailer, the weekly trips to the landfill, and the bi-monthly trip to the farmers' co-op for grain, I still love it. The only annoyances are the heavily shiny-chrome shifter and shifter trim that reflect sunlight behind my sunglasses (so I keep an old black sock in the console to slip over the shifter to block the reflection on sunny days), and the trailing edge of the driver's door is out-of-alignment and sticks out a bit more than 1/8" from the leading edge of the rear passenger door.

Sounds like your dealer package includes the free Ziebart super rust protection annual inspections for ten years, which is a good thing, although Ziebart will try to hard-sell you an out-of-pocket re-application every year. At least that was my experience with my 2004 Exp XLT before our local Ziebart went out of business. Also, the reason we got rid of our 2004 was because both rocker panels rusted to dust, even though the vehicle was put through the Ziebart super rust protection application with only 12 miles on the odometer. Hopefully, your Ziebart experience will be better than ours, but still get Ziebart to carefully inspect your rocker panels every single year.

Cheers!

...Karl

005.jpg

OP
OP
ExpeditionAndy

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Very nice, both of you!

I iust can't get past white. Almost any other colors but white! Hahaha

I know what you mean. It was almost a deal breaker. If it had been the regular white I would have passed. We tried to find a blue one or a King Ranch EL in the local market but there were none to be had and the sale was only for that week so I didn't want to risk losing those discounts.

OP
OP
ExpeditionAndy

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The only annoyances are the heavily shiny-chrome shifter and shifter trim that reflect sunlight behind my sunglasses (so I keep an old black sock in the console to slip over the shifter to block the reflection on sunny days)...

Sounds like your dealer package includes the free Ziebart super rust protection annual inspections for ten years, which is a good thing, although Ziebart will try to hard-sell you an out-of-pocket re-application every year. At least that was my experience with my 2004 Exp XLT before our local Ziebart went out of business. Also, the reason we got rid of our 2004 was because both rocker panels rusted to dust, even though the vehicle was put through the Ziebart super rust protection application with only 12 miles on the odometer. Hopefully, your Ziebart experience will be better than ours, but still get Ziebart to carefully inspect your rocker panels every single year.

Cheers!

...Karl

View attachment 19167

Thanks Karl,

One of things I hated about my 05 was the sunlight would reflect off my shirt and drown out the display on the dash. I couldn't see the messages on the LED screen between the tach and speedometer.

The dealer package was $899 and free checkups and reapplication for 10 years. I will definitely remember to tell them to pay close attention to the rockers. I haven't crawled under it to see how they are boxed in. With the power boards, they have a little more protection (I hope). I take it to a carwash that has a undercarriage wash and I use that whenever they put salt on the roads. So I hope that will help.

And I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I don't get any bubbling on the hatch.

Flexpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Looks great, hope you enjoy it. Really liked how the 20" King Ranch wheels looked on your 05 - did you leave them on when you traded?

OP
OP
ExpeditionAndy

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks great, hope you enjoy it. Really liked how the 20" King Ranch wheels looked on your 05 - did you leave them on when you traded?

Yes I left them on, I didn't have any other wheels to put on it. It also had brand new tires (under 4000 miles), new brakes and rotors all the way around and new calipers upfront. Just did them 6 months ago.