Lack of power

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

eb20004x4

Reaction score
2000 5.4 4x4 with 218,000. Original owner. Very well maintained and all service up to date.

All is well except I have a very noticeable lack of power that has gradually gotten worse over the last year or so. No longer my daily driver but use a tow vehicle and cargo hauling. Towing my old 76 Bronco feels like an anchor is dragging. Even when not towing, a slight grade will require a downshift to hold speed on highway No codes, engine runs smoothly.

Any thoughts? I guess it could be just getting old and tired.

docraymund

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Check fuel pressure with a gauge. Might have a weak fuel pump or clogged fuel filter. Check air cleaner. Clean MAF sensor. And check brakes for binding, carefully feel the rotors for heat after a long drive.

dschallmo98expo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
you describe the same issue I had with my 98 ford expo 5.4L with 180k.

I went and had my transmission rebuilt and that brought 1/2 the life, however then I took it in and during a tune-up, I had them do a compression check to see how much power I have left in the motor, well low and behold I do not have the compression as it once did. They recommended to me a complete engine rebuild, cost...$2600.00. I asked about new heads, they recommended that since I tow that it would not be wise to do it on a truck with high mileage. So between the both repairs I'm into it about 5K. However, no truck payment and its good for another 200k!!! hopefully I don't wreck it!

fryguy

Reaction score
2000 5.4 4x4 with 218,000. Original owner. Very well maintained and all service up to date.

All is well except I have a very noticeable lack of power that has gradually gotten worse over the last year or so. No longer my daily driver but use a tow vehicle and cargo hauling. Towing my old 76 Bronco feels like an anchor is dragging. Even when not towing, a slight grade will require a downshift to hold speed on highway No codes, engine runs smoothly.

Any thoughts? I guess it could be just getting old and tired.

Check your throttle cable. When I picked up my Expedition I always thought it seemed really doggy and weak.

The throttle cable was stretched out so bad the throttle was only opening about 35-40%.

Once I took the slack out of the line it was day & night difference in power.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Check your throttle cable. When I picked up my Expedition I always thought it seemed really doggy and weak.

The throttle cable was stretched out so bad the throttle was only opening about 35-40%.

I've been meaning to check mine as well. My explorer's throttle cable was stretched as well which prevented it from opening the throttle plate all the way.

AbbadonTD

Full Access Members
Reaction score
just checked my cable - STRETCHED. I want to hitch up and tow somewhere now...

In the long run, since I just used Zip ties, Should I replace the cable or shorten the one I have?

fryguy

Reaction score
just checked my cable - STRETCHED. I want to hitch up and tow somewhere now...

In the long run, since I just used Zip ties, Should I replace the cable or shorten the one I have?

I did the same thing and it works fine (with the zip ties).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
OP
E

eb20004x4

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses. Compression is good, fuel line and pump - good, brakes good. Will check throttle cable but FOT acceleration from a stop seems at least as good as it has always been. Any thoughts on symptoms pointing to transmission and/or torque converter?

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I checked my throttle cable today- full throttle opened the plate about 75%. I put 2 zip ties on it and now it opens the throttle plate 100%. The truck feels faster- but it's probably because I've calibrated my foot to go down so much to take off from a stop and now that same amount is opening the throttle more.

Once photobucket comes back online I'll post pictures.

ignorantmonkey

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've been meaning to check mine as well. My explorer's throttle cable was stretched as well which prevented it from opening the throttle plate all the way.

Perhaps same is happening to mine which is a 2002 XLT... Maybe has also something to do with the RPM which always go up to 1500-2000 RPM no matter if I go up to 85-95 MPH....:puke: