leather steering wheel repair

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gary Waugh

Full Access Members
Reaction score
ladies & gentlemen, I have a 2008 Ford expedition Limited EL, with leather interior, despite being 10 years old it looks in great condition, except for the steering wheel. The leather wrap on the steering wheel at the 9 o'clock position has lost its color and looks rough. I can either try and buy another steering wheel (new or second hand) or get this one repaired. Do any of you know of a reputable shop for this kind of repair? I am just north of Dallas, Texas and would prefer someone local but am open to suggestions. Equally if anyone has other suggestions, I would like to hear them. The leather is not worn out, but clearly the top layer of leather has rubbed off at this location as it is no longer smooth or the correct color.
Regards Gary

Reaction score
About four years ago my wife showed me the same problem on her 2005 Expedition Limited. I surmised it was caused by using hand sanitizer and then touching the wheel which is about the same as putting paint remover on the leather! After much research I was looking at about a $250 repair bill to fix a cosmetic issue. I was in WalMart in the auto section one day and saw a steering wheel cover which looked to be a good match for the interior color. $10 and two minutes of installation and the wheel looked like new! The first cover lasted about two years before it was looking scuffed so I sprung for another $10 and have another new looking wheel.

OP
OP
G

Gary Waugh

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback, I really don't want to put a cover on it, although it does sound like a low cost solution!! I will try and remove the steering wheel and take it to an upholstery shop.. Are there any safety precautions required to remove the steering wheel, I have never removed a steering wheel with an air bag before!!

Gary

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback, I really don't want to put a cover on it, although it does sound like a low cost solution!! I will try and remove the steering wheel and take it to an upholstery shop.. Are there any safety precautions required to remove the steering wheel, I have never removed a steering wheel with an air bag before!!

Gary
If it's not too late it is a good idea to disconnect the battery before removing the airbag.

It should be the same as in this video.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Are there any safety precautions required to remove the steering wheel, I have never removed a steering wheel with an air bag before!!

Gary

1) dont drive without
2) pull the battery so as to definitely not deploy an airbag in your face

OP
OP
G

Gary Waugh

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks everyone, have been too busy to get anything done on this, but will try soon.

Gary

Flexpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Colorbond LVP (leather, vinyl, plastic) is all you need. One aerosol can. Your steering wheel will look as good as new, and you won't need to remove the battery or the airbag.

Big Brian

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Flex have you actually used this on a steering wheel? I have some that I have used on interior trim panels and have read that it works for seats and wheels but I don't know anyone that actually used just stuff I see on the website

Flexpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Flex have you actually used this on a steering wheel? I have some that I have used on interior trim panels and have read that it works for seats and wheels but I don't know anyone that actually used just stuff I see on the website

On a leather wrapped boat steering wheel, yes.