LED Tail and Brake and Amber Lights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

53bird

Reaction score
Ok Expedition Electrical experts I've gotta question for Yea!! 2008 XLT and I want to put LED's on my tail and brake lights and also on my from Amber lights..Some folks say no to Load Resistors to eliminate Hyper flashing some say it's ok..Since this year doesn't have a typical Flasher the Load Resistors are my only option..Any suggestion of comments

Flexpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
2008 as well. I added LED tail lamps (LED units, not replacement bulbs) several years ago and definitely needed to use resistors. Flash rate is correct, 100% in sync with side mirror signals. Not only does it look stock, it should have been.

IMG_1437%202_zpsenhjnn7w.png

I wasn't impressed with any of the LED replacement bulbs I bought a few years ago. I wanted as bright if not brighter than stock. Most of the LED bulbs I found weren't. And if they were, there was a disappointing intensity/output difference between parking light and stop/turn modes. Or, they were only brighter at certain angles. Accident waiting to happen if you ask me. Super Bright LED in St Louis seems most knowledgeable.

I'm happy with my rear LED lamps, believe they are Eagle Eye brand. Front are stock.

Last edited:

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I didn't get hyperflash until I added leds to my mirrors... put them in and see first... May not be needed

Mr. 10K

Tocapet

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Beware the guys at the inspection stations if you do that. When I got mine inspected last September, the guy passed it, but told me that LED bulbs are not DOT approved and that the state requires it. So what about the new cars that come stock with LED bulbs in the stop & turn signals? Anyway, I had to add resistors front & rear to stop the hyper-flash, although I lived with it for a few months. And next year, I will go to a different inspection station!

BTW, I pulled up a copy of the Texas inspection procedural manual and nowhere does it say I can not have LEDs for my stop, tail & turn signals. It only mentions LED HEADLIGHTS are not approved. The inspector might have been reading more into it than what it actually says.

gixer2000

Retrofit or Bust
Reaction score
Beware the guys at the inspection stations if you do that. When I got mine inspected last September, the guy passed it, but told me that LED bulbs are not DOT approved and that the state requires it. So what about the new cars that come stock with LED bulbs in the stop & turn signals? Anyway, I had to add resistors front & rear to stop the hyper-flash, although I lived with it for a few months. And next year, I will go to a different inspection station!

BTW, I pulled up a copy of the Texas inspection procedural manual and nowhere does it say I can not have LEDs for my stop, tail & turn signals. It only mentions LED HEADLIGHTS are not approved. The inspector might have been reading more into it than what it actually says.

any bulb that doesn't meet the same standards as the oem equipment is considered non dot approved when added to said vehicle. If it comes with incandescent bulbs you legally need to keep incandescent but most shops or cops won't bother as long as they provide enough light for its function.

Tocapet

Full Access Members
Reaction score
And where do you get this information? And who says LED bulbs do not meet or exceed the standards of incandescent bulbs that get hot and melt the light housing.

gixer2000

Retrofit or Bust
Reaction score
And where do you get this information? And who says LED bulbs do not meet or exceed the standards of incandescent bulbs that get hot and melt the light housing.
Considering they don't have the same focal point as an incandescent bulb they do not meet the specs of the oem bulb! Also a very good friend of mine is a dot officer so I've been over this time and time again. Here in Massachusetts they really don't bother anyone as long as they produce enough light and easily able to differentiate tail from stop/blinker

rexster314

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I replaced the stop/tail light bulbs and the reverse bulbs in my '12 KR last fall. Afterwards, hyperflash resulted. I found a plug n play wiring kit to include resistors built in so I didn't have to cut/rewire anything. Love them, especially the reverse lighting which is SO much better

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Where did you mount the resistors??

Those things are HUGE and the heat sinks and warning about not mounting on plastic got me worried

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
savbraze