Lifted Expeditions of EF.com (picture post)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Texpedition45

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Cool..I'm looking forward to it. I wish I would have done one. I'm gonna take pics of the rest of the work as I go though. Where are you in Texas if you don't mind me asking.

Oh you should start one anyway and post what you have. The mods you've done are awesome. I've actually been thinking of picking up an even more beater 1st gen to do the same roof chop. I've always been a fan of that ever since the Himalaya concept.

I'm in the Spring area near Houston. Where are you closer to?

ChrisOIFdoc

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Oh you should start one anyway and post what you have. The mods you've done are awesome. I've actually been thinking of picking up an even more beater 1st gen to do the same roof chop. I've always been a fan of that ever since the Himalaya concept.

I'm in the Spring area near Houston. Where are you closer to?

I live in Rio Rancho NM, but I'm from Texas. I was just curious what part you were in to get an idea of what kind of wheeling you might be doing. Lot's of mudding and running from skeeters I assume. Hell yeah!!..do the chop...maybe we'll start a trend of Rednexpeditions.

SnuffThePunkz

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Mine? I currently have the Moog heavier duty springs in the rear and 3" spacers.

Up front: the Monroe load leveling shocks from the air ride conversion kit, and the keys are maxed out.

All in all, the nominal lift is probably closer to 2" to 2.5" when compared to a non-airride equipped Expedition.

The reason for the soon to come stiffer torsion bar and longer springs is to offset any sag from the added weight of the storage platform I'm finishing up in the cargo area, and the winch and 2nd battery I'll be adding up front.

Okay, I was confused as is not heard of the HD me coils. I'm entertaining doing the SD coils for added capacity and tossing my spacer with longer shocks for about 4"to give it that factory stance with the front higher on mine.

How are the load leveling shocks? Are they able to extend long enough? The OEM shocks that were on my rig when I bought it limited the height when I turned the keys originally, and actually gained height going with another brand as a result.

Stiffer torsion bars are fun, did it on my buddies as his were shot, was originally destined for my rig but his truck was worse off.

Texpedition45

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Okay, I was confused as is not heard of the HD me coils. I'm entertaining doing the SD coils for added capacity and tossing my spacer with longer shocks for about 4"to give it that factory stance with the front higher on mine.

How are the load leveling shocks? Are they able to extend long enough? The OEM shocks that were on my rig when I bought it limited the height when I turned the keys originally, and actually gained height going with another brand as a result.

Stiffer torsion bars are fun, did it on my buddies as his were shot, was originally destined for my rig but his truck was worse off.

Prior to going into all the reaearch I too didn't have a clue about the coils. They are maybe an inch taller than the (what I assume to be) either the coils that came with the air ride conversion kit (previous owner did the rear, but not the front), or whatever was sourced crom the junkyard.

The overall gain was negligible, and the ride doesn't really feel that much stiffer. It definitely feels softer since pulling off the rear swaybar.

The load leveling shocks in the front don't appear to be the limiting factor in suspension travel. Case in point, after figuring out the limiting factor in travel was the swaybar after ruining an endlink, I'm strongly considering ditching the front swaybar and using limiting straps to reduce some travel and keep the CV angles in a safe (or less likely to cause issues) range.

ETA: I'll see if I can find the part number if not the link to the Moog coils. The advertised spring rate was higher, but I've honestly haven't seen a difference.

SnuffThePunkz

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That'd be great.

I have no actual maintenance records for my truck, but I found the old air tank and lines so somebody converted it at some point but just put oem stuff in and didn't do the conversion kit. Always finding things that seem not quite right.

Weird that your sway bar was your limiter, but mine almost couldn't give a damn about what I'm doing and the shocks on mine are the same length fully extended as the economy ones I chucked on at ride height. (Haven't decided if she gets a Lift kit yet so needed something cheap to run till I bit the bullet on quality shocks at the length I was settling at)

Also spring rate likely just mean the coils are thicker, Ie. no added height just takes more weight to compress them, so better load capacity.

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Texpedition45 said:
adding the FX4 torsion bars instead of the Eddie Bauer bars.

What do the FX4 bars measure in diameter? I've gone scouring the junkyard and my Eddie Bauer bars are larger diameter than anything I've found.

Texpedition45

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What do the FX4 bars measure in diameter? I've gone scouring the junkyard and my Eddie Bauer bars are larger diameter than anything I've found.

I'll go ahead and break out the calipers and measure the diameter as well tomorrow morning and post pics of the bars. Just eyeballing it they do look thicker than the stock bars, and look on par with the ones in my 7700 F150.