Liftgate compatibility - Will 2003 fit 2007?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

icrashcars

Reaction score
I have the paint flaking/ bumbling on my 07 liftgate, but I found a black 2003 expediton at my local pick and pull with a perfect black liftgate with no signs of paint issues.

I have to confirm the paint codes, but they look the same.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just looking at images they look the same I believe it's the exact same from 2003 to 2017 but I'm not for sure. Take measurements and compare the hinge locations and that should tell you.

gixer2000

Retrofit or Bust
Reaction score
Your best bet is to search for the part numbers for each and compare. Fordparts.com allows you to enter a year and search parts. That maybe the easiest way to figure it out

Hayes Riviere

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Those are two generations of Expedition, 2nd gen and 3rd gen. I could be wrong, but I don't think that a 2003 liftgate will fit on a 2007.

gixer2000

Retrofit or Bust
Reaction score
Those are two generations of Expedition, 2nd gen and 3rd gen. I could be wrong, but I don't think that a 2003 liftgate will fit on a 2007.
Maybe 2 generations but not many changes were made between the two. When I looked up parts numbers I saw the same part number for both but a $500 difference in price. The price difference make me wonder if they are actually the same

Sent from my LG-G6 using Tapatalk

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe 2 generations but not many changes were made between the two. When I looked up parts numbers I saw the same part number for both but a $500 difference in price. The price difference make me wonder if they are actually the same

Don't some 07s have the self opening lift gate could that be it? Yea the 2nd and third gen are basically the same truck all the way around except for 6R80 transmission and very minor changes. It's been the same body for 14 years, 3rd gen has different grille, headlights, powerdome hood, and refreshed interior but it's all little changes to make it look refreashed.

gixer2000

Retrofit or Bust
Reaction score
Don't some 07s have the self opening lift gate could that be it? Yea the 2nd and third gen are basically the same truck all the way around except for 6R80 transmission and very minor changes. It's been the same body for 14 years, 3rd gen has different grille, headlights, powerdome hood, and refreshed interior but it's all little changes make it look refreashed.
They do but the lift mechanism is located inside the trunk not inside the tailgate so the only difference I could think of between the two would be the attachment for the liftgate arm on the newer models

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And the 15 - 17 have the long chrome piece above the license plate and that requires some extra holes. Also If I'm not mistaken the handle to open the liftgate is different in other models.

gixer2000

Retrofit or Bust
Reaction score
And the 15 - 17 have the long chrome piece above the license plate and that requires some extra holes. Also If I'm not mistaken the handle to open the liftgate is different in other models.
Yeah so there would be more holes drilled but pretty sure there identical other than those 2 things

Hayes Riviere

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Okay, it may fit, but the wiring going into the door from the newer expedition could be different than what is in the 03. I couldn't find anything online by googling to see if a '03 liftgate would fit an '07, so maybe you should contact a Ford dealer/expert to see if it would work. If you swear by it fitting though, and know how to work with the wires, then by all means, go for it! Good luck!