Lights flickerin after Expo has been warmed up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

producer4u

Reaction score
The other day i was driving to car wash, and left truck running while cleaning inside and noticed that all my lights were flickering.
I went and had battery and alternator checked, and all is putting out well and not sure where to start to trouble shot my issue.
Anyone had this issue, if so, any advice?
Thanks in advance.
PEACE:cheers:

Grasshopper

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Have you done any electrical work? I had the flickering problem on my Thunderbird and it was because I had done a poor job splicing wires that lead to the alternator, specifically the small wire.

Flickering is usually caused, in my experience, by inadequate wiring or if you have a huge stereo system, you'd need bigger wires.

OP
OP
P

producer4u

Reaction score
well I did have a system installed by Professional, and that was almost 6 months ago, and all was fine, but the other day it started the flickering, and nothing has been done except a NEW Alternator was installed less then 2 months now.
It only flickers when parked or idle, but when driving all is fine.

4x4Dude

Full Access Members
Reaction score
wow producer you should think about shrinking your sig down just a bit lol I have to scroll through a whole page just to read one response

OP
OP
P

producer4u

Reaction score
ok, sorry about that, that should be better, only half a page now,,lol
PEACE

GRIP

Full Access Members
Reaction score
check the wires on the alt. and battery make sure they r tight

OP
OP
P

producer4u

Reaction score
I had the mechanic that put the alternator on, suppposely check it, but I might have to make time and get under and check it myself, and ALL the lights flicker,interior dome lights,and main/fog,and instrument dash panel as well.
Thanks for all the responses, and in between my business and 5 kids, am trying to get this figured out, and taken care of..
I am also concern will, and can this issue leave me stranded?
Thanks again.
PEACE

Tom Nugler

Reaction score
Ground points. Always an overlooked problem with electrical concerns. Do a voltage drop test between the battery negative and alternator housing. While you're at it do the positve side, alternator post to battery positive.
Anything more than .3 volt with all the loads on and you need to find the loose terminal, corroded wire or rusted connection.
If the flicker is cyclical the suspect the alternator. We have seen so many problems with "reman" alternators from the low end auto parts joints it's almost a joke.
This is one time when you should bite the bullet and go factory.

Tom.

OP
OP
P

producer4u

Reaction score
never thought of that, Tom, and will give it a shot this morning, good points.
PEACE