Location of GEM on 2011

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Donn Rogers

Reaction score
Checking this forum, I believe I have a rain induced electrical insanity on my 2011 xlt. Where is the GEM located so I can check for water contamination?

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Wow! You must be new here. Well welcome if you are, now to school you. Only 1 St edition 97-02 Expeditions used a gem module, mounted piggyback with the inside fuse box. Your year Donn, has a fuse box located behind the passenger side kick panel. Says fuse on the cover. Is your windshield leak on passenger side? Hope that helps. Please state your issues so our members can help isolate your problem. Moose.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
D

Donn Rogers

Reaction score
Driving home at night, in the drizzle, the intermit stopped working on the wipers. I was having to turn them to high to wipe the windshield. The wipers would stay where ever they were when I turned it off high. Then they finally came down. I turned them on intermit again and they started working, then stopped again. This process happened a few times. Then the message center started flashing messages, one after another. Then the head lights went out. I pulled off the road and turned off the ignition. The head lights came on. I turned on the ignition and they went out. The message center started flashing messages again. The motor would start but it would not shift out of park. All the electronics were going crazy. I could not even turn my emergency flashers on. I had it towed to the house (an ordeal itself because the first towing company couldn't figure out how to bypass the shift lockout). And now she is sitting and I am in a quandary as to how to fix her. She's a 2011 XLT, white in color, with a little over 100k and rescued from the Galveston County Sheriff's Office.

OP
OP
D

Donn Rogers

Reaction score
It's still raining here so I haven't pulled the kick cover yet to check for water. Hopefully, there should be a break in the weather tomorrow.

So what is the part called exactly. If it is the culprit, i'd like to get an idea of cost besides the windshield reseal.

gixer2000

Retrofit or Bust
Reaction score
Its called the SJB but I would be looking toward your alternator/battery. Its pretty common for weird things to happen when the alt is going south

bobmbx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you've got a former cop car, I bet there's an unused wiring harness connector getting wet. I'm assuming this vehicle had the 14 extra miles of wiring for the cop lights and all that other cop stuff.