Locking Fuel Filler Plug

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NorthGeorgia

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Admittedly the last 'new' vehicle I bought was in 2013 (not a Ford). It and all my previous vehicles(no Fords) had gas caps. A surprise to me was that my 2017 Expedition Limited does not have a gas cap; it just has a 'seal' on the 'door' to the gas? I guess this is something Ford has done for several years? New/Surprise to me.

Anyway.....has anyone done the 'Locking Fuel Filler Plug'? What are your experiences with using one? Any negatives? positives?

or should one just not bother???????

ads245

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ford did away with the gas caps a number of years ago. The cap-less easy fuel system works fine and seals once you pull the gas nozzle out. The Locking Plug does nothing as far as sealing goes. Rather it's used to prevent someone from putting something unwanted in your gas tank. I have one and it works fine as another level of deterrence.

Of note though, is the fuel door on the cap-less system opens when the fuel nozzle from a gas pump depresses tabs on the sides. This is why you can't push on the door with your finger and open it. In order to add fuel additives, etc., you will have to use the dedicated white plastic funnel located under the spare tire tool panel in the floor compartment behind the rear seat. It's the exact diameter of a fuel nozzle to depress these tabs and open the door.

Bigbadbull

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ive had the cap less filler on my for over 6 years on my 2012 F150.
No issues from it. Only reason to need a plug is thieves siphoning gas out.

Flexpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
They have a way with making you stand at the fuel pump for a few moments after hanging up the hose. You feel like you are missing a step.

I'd say pass on the lock unless you regularly have your tank tampered with. Otherwise its just another key to fool with.

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My son bought one for his 2014 Flex. He lives in an apartment complex and wanted a deterrence to someone attempting to siphon his gas. I thought about it but I don't want to have to carry another key and dig it out every time I get gas. I like The convenience of opening the door and sticking in the fuel nozzle and not having to remove a cap.

OP
OP
NorthGeorgia

NorthGeorgia

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I guess the only reason, for me, to buy one would be deter anyone from sticking something in and plugging the gas pipe. I've read that some folks had to have someone 'unplug' their gas entry because a 'thief' tried to siphon but their hose or whatever got stuck/broken and thus caused damage/problem. Not sure I'll get one; if y'all are not having a problem with what Ford has done then maybe I should just pass too. I don't live or visit high crime areas so...........................

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd think your okay without if your in a good area. I mean anyone could open a gas cap and steal gas too if they wanted you know? I'd say a gas cap gives you no more protection than capless, unless your gas door locks.

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That is the only thing I wish Ford would have done is install a locking gas door that would lock with the door locks.

NASCAR Mike

Full Access Members
Reaction score
A locking gas cap and wheel locks were the first things I put on all of my Fords with cap less refueling (2013 Mustang). The area I live in is very safe but it's when I go to the shopping mall or park in a parking deck is when I worry about things. If someone were to look to siphon fuel from me, more than likely they would see the locking gas cap and move on to the next vehicle.

I also use the Club too. It's only a deterrence to move onto the next car.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hang a sign on mine that says free gas with an arrow to the gas fill. Reverse psychology. Works every time.