Looking for any and all input on a decision

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Razorback

Reaction score
Expy 2003 - 160k miles.
My decision is whether to repair damage to the crank or swap in a rebuilt engine.
repair the crank $1500
swap for a rebuilt engine ~3500-4000

Just looking for thoughts on which the group would do.
Exp body is still in pretty good shape for it's age. I'm starting to have the one-off random things breaking, door lock motors, etc. Fighting an electrical problem that I think has been isolated now.

I usually just use the truck for long trips and hauling larger items than will fit in the car.

My fear is that if I repair it, other items in the engine are going to fail soon, so just spend the money up front. But the mechanic is confident nothing else is messed up, so why swap the engine at this point?

Details on what happened are below for those who want more background.

My 2003 had an oil pump failure recently. This is one of the maintenance items that falls out of my driveway skills/tool capabilities.

When it happened I was driving a short distance, noticed the loss of pressure on the gauge ( no idea the duration prior to noticing it, but had only been driving it for ~5 min), made it another 30 seconds into a drive way at which point it died.
Had it towed to a shop I've used for years and trust (well trusted until now).
He replaced the oil pump and timing chain since he was already in there.
When driving it home, it died. Didn't notice anything prior to that.
Had been driving it for ~10 min at that point.
Took it back in, it started fine, told him to drive it. He then saw it drop out oil pressure after running a few minutes, tore into it and found that the crank had some wearing around the bearings.

Mechanics suggestion is to smooth the crank and install new bearings. He's giving me a bit of a break on that work due to not digging into it far enough the first time around.

At this point, if you start it, it idles smooth and drives fine, but will drop out oil pressure after a bit due to it leaking around the bearings. Not 100% sure that I understand how that's happening, but that's the explanation I've gotten.

If he repairs it, he will give me a 6 month warranty that if anything else happens that involves the oil pressure dropping, it'll be repaired at no charge to me.

My concern is spending another 1500 and having something else fail in the engine soon.
On the other side, I'm concerned about spending 4k to drop an engine in it, and then start having tons of other issues crop up.
So what would you do? Repair and sell? Don't repair and salvage it out? Repair and drive with confidence?
Swap the engine and keep on driving it confident that you're good for several years?
Swap the engine and be prepared for the never ending list of small repairs?

Thanks in advance for any input.

Joe

jim midd

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Me personally, if one of my old trucks needed that kinda $$ put into them, I'd probably just replace the whole truck. there is no shortage of cheap 1st and 2nd Gen Expy's on the market. You could keep yours as a parts vehicle (assuming you have the room). I know there are those that will say you might spend $3k on a replacement truck and still have problems, but I'd say you could spend the money on a rebuilt engine and your trans could go the next week.

$3,500 - $ 4,000 is pretty much top dollar for an '03 where I live, ( my '03 was given to me). My truck would have to pretty special for me to sink that kinda money into it, but that's my personal opinion

OP
OP
R

Razorback

Reaction score
That's my dilemma, as it seems like a lot to sink into it.
But you also nailed my other fear, is that unless I am willing to spend quite a bit more, say 8-12k I'm likely going to pick up a different set of problems. Now those problems may be far less than what I'm dealing with, but I've just spent what I would spend on an engine on a truck.
I've been browsing to see what's available because of the issues you list.

Big Brian

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I would not trust that guy to do any more work on it

Did he even drive it after his work on it? He should have noticed the oil pressure issue

the oil thins as the motor heats up causing the oil pressure to decrease. he knows this. He should have let it get hot then driven it around.

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I would not trust that guy to do any more work on it

Did he even drive it after his work on it? He should have noticed the oil pressure issue

the oil thins as the motor heats up causing the oil pressure to decrease. he knows this. He should have let it get hot then driven it around.

I do not agree with part of your statement.

Unless the expy had an aftermarket oil pressure gauge that tells actual pressure there is no way any mechanic can tell what the oil pressure is on a stock second generation expy.

The stock oil pressure sensor in the expy is just a sensor that tells if you have or don't have oil pressure It is nothing more than a switch that send a signal to a gauge in the instrument cluster. It does not measure pressure in terms of PSI.

To prove this the next time you start your expy look at the pressure gauge at idle and then rev the engine up to 2000 RPM's and notice the change in the pressure gauge. NO CHANGE AT ALL Now try the same in a vehicle that has a actual pressure gauge and you will see the pressure gauge change with an increase of RPM'S

Big Brian

Full Access Members
Reaction score
yes but from the description it happened as he was driving it home. If the mechanic would have given it a good test drive after installing an oil pump and chain (like he should have) the problem would have made itself evident

I have a hard time believing otherwise

and actually if I was replacing a oil pump on a customers car to fix an oil pressure issue you can damn well bet I would put my own mechanical oil pressure gauge on it to verify the repair

Last edited:

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What weight oil are you using in it now? A cheap alternative is to try a 15w-50 in it and see how it does. It's really not worth spending much more on it.

-Mike

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Wait, so where is your oil pressure "going", exactly?

A leak?

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
About the only fix that might help is to install a high pressure high volume oil pump to over come some of the pressure issues. I'm not sure if you have the 5.4 or th3 4.6 engine but if it's the 5.4 the cam phasers will all the oil they can get. You really don't want to go too heavy on the oil weight for the same reason. Stick to 5-30 you will be better off in the long run. Just my nickel's worth.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tryspaygee