Loss of power/stumble then dies

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I am working on the same issue on a 99.

You should start a separate thread in the first gen section since yours is a 99 and the OP in this thread has an 03

Post and list your problems and any codes you may have You will get better results and responses dealing with your problems Explain in detail what the problems are

OP
OP
R

race4beer

Reaction score
I am working on the same issue on a 99.

There are a couple of YouTube videos on bypassing the fuel pump relay that were informative. Going to try that and see if it stops, and then fork up the $350 for a new fuse box if that's the issue.

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Again There are some differences between the 1st and 2nd gen expys when it comes to the fuel pump circuits and fuse boxes What may apply to one generation may not apply to another generation expy

OP
OP
R

race4beer

Reaction score
I've been traveling and haven't had the chance to check into it any further, hoping to look at it next week.

On my 12 mile drive to the airport last week it died 5 times, including once when I was crossing 3 lanes to get my exit! When I got back I bypassed the relay so I can drive it while I am waiting for the fuse box to come off backorder at Tasca. Since I bypassed the relay I have had zero trouble.

Should have the new fuse box in a couple of weeks.

Fawkes

Reaction score
Glad to hear that it seems to be the relay and that you were able to temporarily bypass it.

I had similar symptoms a while back. The oil level was severely low, and after filling it up, the problem went away. I assumed that it sensed the low level, and went into limp mode or something.

OP
OP
R

race4beer

Reaction score
Checking back in, $350 later and it's fixed. Replaced the fuse box and problem has not come back. Appreciate all the help!