Low MPG 07 Limited

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Church

Reaction score
I have a 07 expedition Limited with 150k+ miles on it. When I purchased the expedition it had very low MPG around 9. I had the lean fuel codes and the cause was a fuel pump that was going out. Now that I have the new pump installed I am getting around 14 MPG and the response of the engine is poor. I read that the advertised MPG was around 19 for this model and year. I am looking for recommendations on anything that may need to have maintenance to help raise the MPG. I am not looking to get 19 but hopefully a little better than I am at. The diesel F350 I had almost got better MPG than this.

• I do not know when the Spark plugs were changed last so I plan on starting there.
  • I have also thought that the injectors may need to be changed.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
14 is normal if your doing all city. Mine gets about 15.5 and that's about half city half highway. It was rated 14 city 18 highway they are pushers your not going to get efficient runs. In order for a diesel to be worth it it needs to save you at least $10,000 in gas while you own the vehicle or it was a loss to buy the upgrade to cover its cost.

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

Church

Reaction score
I drive mostly highway and get 14.7 drops to 12-13 in City. I appreciate the info.

bobmbx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Fuel filter, and hit the gas tank with a heavy dose of Sea Foam. Start with the cheapy, no harm-no foul efforts, then move up to part replacement. That will clean the injectors.

19 MPG has to be a Highway number. And its ridiculously high to start with. If you're getting 14mpg around town just know that ain't bad.

And reset the ECU. Follow this procedure:

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I bought my 05 with 119K miles I was getting about 16.5 MPG on a trip at 77 mph. As it got to 146K the mileage dropped to around 14.5 MPG, at 77, on a long trip. I'm sure it needed plugs and a general tune up but I don't think it would ever get to up to 18 MPG. My 17 with the EcoBoost got about 18.3 at 77 mph on the same trip last month at the time it only had 1800 miles on it so I'm hoping it will go up.

So a general tune up is probably in order for your truck with 150K miles and you should see some improvement once it's complete.

Rigpig

Reaction score
I have a similar issue with my '09. It gets decent mileage, but I think, at 119k miles, that it likely hasn't had a tune-up yet. I recently went on a 600 mile round trip in a '13 EL 4x4 with 47k miles and we averaged 15mpg on the interstate at 80-85mph hauling 4 250ish-pound men and 600 pounds or so of gear. It felt like it had quite a bit more pep with that load than mine does empty with just me in it, plus mileage was similar. Planning on changing air filter, fuel filter, spark plugs and change crankcase oil to synthetic. I'll run the SeaFoam through the fuel system and crankcase before I change the oil. Probably needs all the running gear oil changed too.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a 07 expedition Limited with 150k+ miles on it. When I purchased the expedition it had very low MPG around 9. I had the lean fuel codes and the cause was a fuel pump that was going out. Now that I have the new pump installed I am getting around 14 MPG and the response of the engine is poor. I read that the advertised MPG was around 19 for this model and year. I am looking for recommendations on anything that may need to have maintenance to help raise the MPG. I am not looking to get 19 but hopefully a little better than I am at. The diesel F350 I had almost got better MPG than this.

• I do not know when the Spark plugs were changed last so I plan on starting there.
  • I have also thought that the injectors may need to be changed.

12-14 city 16-18 highway

John Christopher

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I get 10 -12 in the city and 15 -17 on the highway with an 03 Expedition 5.4 EB. Your not doing all that bad. These are heavy vehicles, high off the ground and use a lot of gas. You might try going easy on the pedal when in 1st and 2nd gear and building speed slowly.

I recently bought a 13 Navigator with the 5.4 and get about 2.5 miles per gallon more in the city and the highway.