Lowering an EL

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

69Hcode

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Trying to find out information on lowering our recently purchased 2011 EL 2wd. It needs struts so I might as well lower it at the same time. Our youngest daughter has dwarfism so I want to make it a little easier for her to get in.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Trying to find out information on lowering our recently purchased 2011 EL 2wd. It needs struts so I might as well lower it at the same time. Our youngest daughter has dwarfism so I want to make it a little easier for her to get in.

It won't go very far down.

Maybe look into retractable steps or something?

PS there's stuff like this dude does, but it involves changing a shitton of stuff at great expense : @BaggedExpy

AllBoostNoEco

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm not totally familiar with the earlier (pre-15) trucks, but how does the front struts in the 11 compare to the 04-08 F-150? I know the 15-17 Expedition front suspension is nearly identical to the 14 F-150, so was thinking that the 11 might be functionally similar to the 08 F-150, as the Expedition chassis tends to lag a generation behind the F-150.
The reason I bring it up is because as I understand it, factory rear air was an option, and Ride Tech sells their ShockWave replacement struts for the 04-08 F-150. They aren't exactly cheap, but combine those with the factory rear air shocks, an air compressor and tank, and a simple controller. Then you could possibly have the ability to lower the truck all the way down to the bumpstops to make it as easy as it can be in an Expedition for your daughter to get in and out, then raise it back up for normal driving.

Alternatively, while I can't find an off-the-shelf solution for the Expedition, there are several companies out there that produce custom coil springs and you could have a set made. Give "custom coil springs" a quick search and you'll find them.

OP
OP

69Hcode

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My wife is not going to let me go crazy with it. It is her daily driver after all. I just need some springs to go into new struts.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You can get controllable air springs on all corners for like 2 grand I think, maybe cheaper.

It would be possible to make that system pop a squat for loading and unloading while riding at normal height for driving.

AND it would also ride like a cadillac