Mach Audio Rear Amp Wiring Info

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Hello Everyone!

I thought I would share my findings in case anyone else wants to use this information.

I have a 1998 Expedition with the Mach Audio system. I have installed a Pioneer FH-X731BT (2-din) head unit as the Expedition was missing the radio when I bought it. I have kept the original wiring and amps however the rear amp was not working. I found that it was shorted out (terribly corroded from moisture exposure). Using a multi-meter I was able to determine what the five wires are that feed the stock amp so that I could wire in an aftermarket amp.

The power wires in the grey connector:
Green/purple: 12v power
Black: ground

The black and red connector:
Red/black: ground
Black/orange: 5v pre-amp
Green/Black?: 12v remote turn on

I cut the connectors off the wires and added additional wire for length. The +5v pre-amp (black/orange) and ground (red/black) I wired into an RCA plug for the low-line inputs of the new amp. The other wires I tinned the ends as they are connected to screw terminals.

I hooked up and inexpensive Boss amplifier (R1100M) and it works!

Now with all that stated, I admit that I am having some sound quality issues that I am going to be troubleshooting. Basically, the subwoofer is doing a lot of buzzing. The sub could be blown, the audio signal could be bad or poor, or my wiring job could just suck. If I find out the cause I will make sure to update this thread.

One last thing, hook up that remote turn-on (blue or blue/white) if you decide to replace the stock head unit. The Premium/Mach amps wont turn on without it.

OP
OP
J
Reaction score
UPDATE: I replaced the subwoofer with an 8-inch, Pioneer, IB Flat, shallow sub and now it sounds right. The stock woofer was definitely blown. So that means all the wiring is correct according to my first post above.