Manifold coolant leak on a 2012

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AzteCypher

Reaction score
So I'm pretty sure we have a manifold coolant leak on our 2012. Haven't been able to determine yet if it's the manifold itself or if it's the bypass tube underneath the manifold. Is this "normal" on a Expy with 148K miles on it? Anyone have any experience doing this work to ascertain the number of hours and $$$ this will take?

My thoughts were to replace the manifold, radiator hoses (they're original), thermostat, all gaskets and the coolant bypass tube since I'll have to remove the manifold to do any of the work. I also thought about doing the plugs while I'm at it. Thoughts, tips or suggestions are welcome. Thanks!

OP
OP
AzteCypher

AzteCypher

Reaction score
So I believe the coolant is leaking from where the crossover pipe meets the manifold. Either the gasket is torn or the manifold deteriorated at this location.

sGM2cTx.jpg

I'm assuming I can reuse the crossover pipe as the part number I'm finding doesn't seem to include the crossover pipe. Does anyone know otherwise?

Ford Part No.: 9L3Z-9424-A

https://www.fordpartsgiant.com/part...odel=Expedition&Year=2012&Submodel=&Filter=()

OP
OP
AzteCypher

AzteCypher

Reaction score
@Brennan - Apologies for never responding as I quit checking the forums. It wasn't anywhere near as bad as I was expecting as I only had to swap out the thermostat and the corresponding gaskets for the crossover pipe. I thing I did mess up was I ended up breaking the heads off of one of the bolts that tightens down the cross over pipe. I was able to remove the pipe and take out the remainder of the bolt with vice grips. Found another replacement bolt with the same thread pattern in my stash and finished up without any further issues.

Dennis_H

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The 2010 crossover pipe is under the intake, not on top... I would have replaced mine last month, but took it in since I didn't want to pull the whole intake. Then at the same time, replaced water pump, alternator, PCV hose, etc.

OP
OP
AzteCypher

AzteCypher

Reaction score
Oooh... that does stink. Sorry to hear about that. Good call on replacing the ancillaries.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hsquared360