Mirror extensions for towing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

edmguy

Reaction score
I assume a bunch of guys here bought their Expedition for towing, and if so, are you guys using mirror extensions or just the stock mirrors?

I just picked up my Expedition last week so I haven't even tried towing my trailer yet, but with the Explorer I had before, I used some of the mirror extensions that just slide over the stock mirror and give it an extra 4" or so (I know, sounds dirty...lol).

Anyway, I have been to a few places and been told no one makes mirror extensions for the Expedition, just the F150's and they are slightly different. People have tried selling me universal ones but they look so damn ugly and don't seem to mount very solid (one place let me try putting them on).

I'm having trouble finding something online as well.

Anyone have any recommendations?

I'm going to do a short 5 day trip next week with the trailer and I'm planning on trying with the stock mirrors, but I would like to find something because the more you can see on the road the better imo.

OP
OP
E

edmguy

Reaction score
I tow a 26' travel trailer.

The Explorer definitely needed the extensions, but I might be okay with the Expedition, but I would still like some.

My last camping trip last month I took an 08 Superduty and the extendable towing mirrors on that thing was awesome. You could see so much. Twin turbo diesel was nice too.

Anyway, I did check ebay with no luck but I will keep looking.

So no one here uses any?

Randy

Reaction score
I tow an enclosed construction trailer that's 8 feet by 16 feet and haven't had any need to use extension s to see around the sides. I think you'll find the Expy is wide enough already for towing standard width trailers.

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
I'm using McKesh mirrors to tow my 24' travel trailer for other than just a mile or two. I have 'em set 6" wider than the trailer on each side. If the mirrors fit the trailer will fit too. I'd rather smack the toll girl with the mirror than the trailer body!

WZMXO-55056729-IMG_0709.JPG

-- Chuck

Last edited:
OP
OP
E

edmguy

Reaction score
^ wow those things are massive!

I'm heading out this Thursday for 5 days and only about 500km so I will see how it goes.

The universal ones part way down this page are the ones this place close to me tried selling me.

http://www.mirrormirror.com/

They fit and work, I just don't think they seem stable enough for highway driving and they look like ass imo. lol

Very nice Expedition and trailer btw!

Your trailer looks basically the same length as mine, only mine is a 97 without a slide out, so not nearly as good looking. That will hopefully be the next purchase for me now that I went from the Explorer to the Expedition. :)

pronstar

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Originally posted by edmguy

The universal ones part way down this page are the ones this place close to me tried selling me.

http://www.mirrormirror.com/

They fit and work, I just don't think they seem stable enough for highway driving and they look like ass imo. lol

I have these, they worked fine.
I don't need them anymore, so I'd be willing to let them go if you want to just pay for shipping...or if you are in SoCalm jsut ocme and pick them up...

OP
OP
E

edmguy

Reaction score
So they were pretty stable at highway speeds?

I will let you know after this weekend if I am interested. Thanks for the offer. :)

And it would need to be shipped. I am in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada. Way north of you.

pronstar

Full Access Members
Reaction score
They weren't rock-steady like a factory mirror...but were way more stable than I had anticipated. Did the job just fine...that is, I could see any cars that were alongside of me.

But it's not a huge tow mirror, so if you are expecting something along the lines of the ones offered on a 1-ton dually, you'll be dissapointed.