Mishimoto: Has anyone done any of the upgrades? They seem to have some good stuff!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jeff Sweeney

Reaction score
Mishimoto, Has anyone done any of the above upgrades? I have a 2018 Expedition XLT Max tow package.

I have transmission and radiator heating issues, so I thought this would be a great place to start. Or move to a truck, but we love our Expedition. And it is a lot cheaper than moving to a new auto.

Aluminum Transmission Pan, fits Ford 10R60/10R80 Transmissions; Model MMTP-RGR-19

Universal 13-Row Stacked Plate Transmission Cooler Powder Coated, 22.85-in X 7.10-in X 1.25-in; Model: MMTC-SP-13

Intercooler, fits Ford F-150 EcoBoost 2015+; Model MMINT-F150-15

Aluminum Expansion Tank, fits Ford F-150 2015+; Model MMRT-F150-15E5.

Performance Aluminum Radiator, fits Ford F-150 2015; Model: MMRAD-F150-15

Aluminum Transmission Pan, fits Ford 10R60/10R80 Transmissions

• Direct fit for the Ford 10R60 and 10R80 transmissions
Increase fluid capacity by 2 quarts over the stock transmission pan for more cooling capacity.

Model: MMTP-RGR-19

Aluminum Transmission Pan, fits Ford 10R60/10R80 Transmissions | Mishimoto

Universal 13-Row Stacked Plate Transmission Cooler, Powder Coated, 22.85-in X 7.10-in X 1.25-in Core​

Universal 13 Row Stacked Plate Transmission Cooler Powder Coated 22.85 in X 7.10 in X 1.25 in Core | Mishimoto

Model: MMTC-SP-13

Intercooler, fits Ford F-150 EcoBoost 2015+​

Model: MMINT-F150-15

Intercooler, fits Ford F-150 EcoBoost 2015+ | Mishimoto

Aluminum Expansion Tank, fits Ford F-150 2015+​

Model: MMRT-F150-15E

Aluminum Expansion Tank, fits Ford F-150 2015+ | Mishimoto

Performance Aluminum Radiator fits Ford F-150 2015+​

Model: MRAD-F150-15

Performance Aluminum Radiator, fits Ford F-150 2015+ | Mishimoto

Racing Thermostat, fits Ford Raptor 3.5L EcoBoost 2017+ | Mishimoto

Mishimoto thermostat activates at 160 F vs. factory 190 F

Last edited:

gtr09

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Intercooler and a new thermostat and the transmission pan are really easy to do and will help. Lots of people have done those. SPD makes a 180 and 170 degree thermostat, I'm not sure about going down to 160 on a stock car. AMS, Full Race, Mishimoto, CVF all make intercoolers. I went with CVF cuz it was cheapest and I don't think there is a huge difference between them all. PPE makes an aluminum transmission pan (both normal and deep) and there are a few threads here where people have installed them, I haven't seen anyone install the Mishimoto pan yet. I have one from PPE in transit right now.

Full Race makes a transmission cooler that's an exact fit, I'd buy that instead of a universal fit. https://www.full-race.com/store/cooling-system/2015-ford-f150-and-raptor-transmission-oil-cooler

This guy did the full race setup for everything that could cool his truck down and did a before/after tow up a mountain. It all helps! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nV5k5mjiqJ8

You don't have your vehicle in your sig so can't tell if you have HD Tow package, if you don't, you'll have to plumb your own lines to the trans cooler rather than just upgrade the one you have.

Forgot to add:
A number of people swear the fix for overheating while towing is an oil cooler. Here's a YT video and the first comment below it.
I've been through multiple EB's with every mod money can buy. I have extensive experience on this issue. The lower T-stat only buys you more time before things heat up. If the hill is long enough and steep enough and ambiet air hot enough, it will still, eventually, overheat. The fix that helped you was 100% that oil cooler. Upgraded radiator, trans cooler (by way of taking a load off the radiator,) intercooler, larger exhaust etc all helps with heat dissipation. But the root fix for you here is that oil cooler. The oil gets super heated by the turbo's, even more than the coolant does, which dumps to the heat exchanger, which in turn rapidly heats everything up, including your engine coolant and head temp (which is what the temp gauge reads on this truck.) To make matters worse, the heat exchanger isn't of great enough thermal capacity to cool the oil under high boost, so everything starts going up quickly. For anyone else dealing with this issue, or towing in excessive heat and high grades, trust me, start with the external engine oil cooler before anything else. For context, the Focus ST (2.0 ecoboost) guys who track their cars deal with this same exact issue. Their solution is the same - engine oil cooler.Save money and don't be like me. The first time I addressed this... boy was it a long road. I first did a Mishimoto radiator, then a Mishimoto intercooler, then a lower T-stat, then re-geared to 4.11's, then had updated phasers installed, then a new water pump, then upgraded the exhaust manifolds/downpipes (Yes.. a lot of money fighting this... don't remind me.) Certain things (like the radiator and intercooler) certainly helped and I could see improvement. But, it was that glorious oil cooler.. THAT was the ticket! Full Race even recommends, if you use theirs, to totally remove the stock heat exchanger so the oil comes in NO contact with engine coolant and the systems are completely isolated/not heating each other up. I don't recommend theirs BTW - so overpriced. You can hand-build a far superior unit for $100-$150 bucks.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

Jeff Sweeney

Reaction score
Ah I forgot to mention it: I have a 2018 Expedition XLT Max HD tow package. Thank you for the information. Full Race transmission cooler with the exact fit is the way to go!

They also have a good Radiator and intercooler kit. Then again, Mishimoto has excellent sales prices.

FULL-RACE COOLING PACK FOR 2015-2020 FORD F-150 3.5L ECOBOOST

or
FULL-RACE COOLING PACK FOR 2015-2020 FORD F-150 3.5L ECOBOOST

I doing the oil cooler and the Mishimoto pan. That will help my transmission overheating. Full race adds 40 percent more volume than the OEM "Plug and Play upgrade, which adds 40% more capacity than your OEM transmission cooler. " The Mishimoto: Aluminum Transmission Pan, fits Ford 10R60/10R80 Transmissions adds "increases fluid capacity by 2 quarts over the stock transmission pan for more cooling capacity".
Do you have the heat exchanger part number?

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

Jeff Sweeney

Reaction score
Intercooler and a new thermostat and the transmission pan are really easy to do and will help. Lots of people have done those. SPD makes a 180 and 170 degree thermostat, I'm not sure about going down to 160 on a stock car. AMS, Full Race, Mishimoto, CVF all make intercoolers. I went with CVF cuz it was cheapest and I don't think there is a huge difference between them all. PPE makes an aluminum transmission pan (both normal and deep) and there are a few threads here where people have installed them, I haven't seen anyone install the Mishimoto pan yet. I have one from PPE in transit right now.

Full Race makes a transmission cooler that's an exact fit, I'd buy that instead of a universal fit. https://www.full-race.com/store/cooling-system/2015-ford-f150-and-raptor-transmission-oil-cooler

This guy did the full race setup for everything that could cool his truck down and did a before/after tow up a mountain. It all helps! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nV5k5mjiqJ8

You don't have your vehicle in your sig so can't tell if you have HD Tow package, if you don't, you'll have to plumb your own lines to the trans cooler rather than just upgrade the one you have.

Forgot to add:
A number of people swear the fix for overheating while towing is an oil cooler. Here's a YT video and the first comment below it.

My mishmoto(Model: MMTC-SP-13) did not fit my 2018 Ford XLT Expedition Max. They ask for you to keep in mind there is a 12% restocking fee.. I did order the Full Race but can you confirm if it was an exact match for my model and year of Expedition? What auto was it installed on? Frank from Full Race just informed me: "The only way we can accept a return is if the item is new in original condition. Meaning if it is attempted to be installed, I cannot accept a return." and stated, "With this being designed for the F150, I just can't guarantee fitment on the expedition since we have not tested that ourselves." Without confirmation, the best might be to cancel my order. If I try and fail they will not even take a return.

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Perhaps try checking the Ford part numbers? If they're the same it is likely that the aftermarket part will fit. At least with the part in hand a visual inspection can be performed to gauge whether the aftermarket part will have an issue. But of course that's not a guarantee of compatibility.

OP
OP
J

Jeff Sweeney

Reaction score
Perhaps try checking the Ford part numbers? If they're the same it is likely that the aftermarket part will fit. At least with the part in hand a visual inspection can be performed to gauge whether the aftermarket part will have an issue. But of course that's not a guarantee of compatibility.
It appears to but it is the cooler lines that need to line up.

OP
OP
J

Jeff Sweeney

Reaction score
TRANSMISSION FLUID talk and which oil should be used for the new install

I was using Amsoil SIGNATURE SERIES FUEL-EFFICIENT SYNTHETIC AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION FLUID
Product code: ATL1G-CA

10-speed 10R80 Total Fill 13.1 quarts.
PPE Bigger oil pan adds 2 quarts.
cooler add some not sure how much extra fluid will be needed.

Expedition 10R80 3.5L EB (1:cool: transmission fluid is ULV. Amsoil is listed at ATF. I am now concerned that the oil ordered was an incorrect oil replacement. hope not. I called Amsoil, but they are closed, so I sent them an email and am now awaiting a response.

Oil pan installed. See PPE.jpg. Both Mishimoto and Fullrace will not work with 2018. We would have to run new ATF lines to the front and move the oil cooler.
2017 looks like it might match:

I is a 2018, and the part number is:

Trans Cooler - Ford (JL1Z-7869-A)​

and is depicted in the attached pictures.

Attachments

• PPE.jpg
    PPE.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 13
  • automatic transmission fluids chart by vehicle and transmission_english.pdf
    162.1 KB · Views: 4
  • transsmission_cooler.jpg
    transsmission_cooler.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
OP
OP
J

Jeff Sweeney

Reaction score
Does anyone else have a heavy-duty tow package with a 2018 + Ford Expedition Max XLT? If so, I can confirm we have or should have a bigger cooler up front.

If I have the heavy-duty tow package, I should have a Raptor oil cooler up front. This one should be a direct match.

Transmission Cooler fits Ford Raptor 2017+

Model: MMTC-F150-15SL

https://www.mishimoto.com/ford-raptor-transmission-cooler-2017.html

or Full race on mentioned above should work
Full Race makes a transmission cooler that's an exact fit:
https://www.full-race.com/store/cooling-system/2015-ford-f150-and-raptor-transmission-oil-cooler

Last edited:

Brad Bremer

Reaction score
I have a mishimoto radiator in my 2007 charger r/t that has been in for 4 1/2 years it started leaking called them about a warranty replacement and they acted like they didn't want to honor the warranty. I finally got it after going through a bunch of crap with them I would look for other options if there are any. just my opinion.

Ellison Brown III

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I bought their silicone radiator hose about a year ago… haven’t installed it yet. ‍♂️

Holding it/ looking at it… seems to be of good quality. I got the blue hoses… color looks great. I’ll get it in at some point.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tifanydire