More brake issues with my 03'

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

driverjohn2005

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The Expedition was experiencing some bad vibration when I would apply the brakes. I replaced the front pads and had the old rotors resurfaced probably 6months ago. Come november; it started doing the same thing. Had Les Schwab (tire/brake shop) look at it for me. Rotors were warped AGAIN! So; had them install brand new rotors.

Well; now I'm having the same issue again with vibration when I press on the brakes (worse if I am trying to brake from a high speed). Before I take it back in under warranty; what should I be expecting them to do about this? This can't be normal...

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys!:)

seeker

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sounds like brake rotors warped again. Just a thought.... have you checked the rear brakes? They do about 20% of total braking. If you are towing and the rear brakes are not helping, you may be overheating the the front brakes. Too much heat will warp the rotors. Just a thought.

OP
OP
D

driverjohn2005

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sounds like brake rotors warped again. Just a thought.... have you checked the rear brakes? They do about 20% of total braking. If you are towing and the rear brakes are not helping, you may be overheating the the front brakes. Too much heat will warp the rotors. Just a thought.

Ya know; I think I'll try to have the rear brakes inspected as well. I don't think the vibration is coming from the rear brakes; but who knows.... it may not be helping either...

Thank you for the input :)

seeker

Full Access Members
Reaction score
60- 0 is more important than 0-60

You're right the vibration is probalbly from the front. However the rear brakes if they are not working well might be the cause of the over heating of the front rotors. Look for a front caliper that may have hung up as well. Good luck.

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Resurfacing the rotors probably helped with the warping on the second time around. Since there is less metal to dissipate the heat, they warp easier.

As a side note, are they bedding in the brake pads when they install them?

From what I understand, if the vibration is felt through the steering wheel, it's the front rotors. If through the seat, it's the rear rotors.

BTW, how often do you tow? How hard do you brake when coming to a stop (both when towing and when not.)

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

driverjohn2005

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Resurfacing the rotors probably helped with the warping on the second time around. Since there is less metal to dissipate the heat, they warp easier.

As a side note, are they bedding in the brake pads when they install them?

From what I understand, if the vibration is felt through the steering wheel, it's the front rotors. If through the seat, it's the rear rotors.

BTW, how often do you tow? How hard do you brake when coming to a stop (both when towing and when not.)

I haven't towed since september. I'm well experienced and know not to brake hard/abruptly.

What do you mean by "bedding" the brake pads? I've never heard that term before...

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The procedure you're supposed to to after you install new brakes and rotors (when done at the same time, or when purchased seperatly.)

The brake shop should be the ones doing it. It's basically where you do a bunch of runs up to 40-60, brake hard (but not enough to engage ABS) and slow down to about 5-10 mph (but never come to a complete stop), release the brakes, and slowly speed back up to 40-60 (to give times for the rotors to cool), and repeat like 10 times. Some manufacturers just tell you to drive "moderately" for 400-500 miles, while trying to minimize heavy braking.

It's supposed to bed/mate the surface of the pad to the surface of the rotors.

If you do really hard braking with a set of new pads, what happens is some of the pad material stays on the rotor. Under normal braking, this "catches" and makes a vibration feeling that may be confused with a warped rotor.

Read more here and here.

Last edited: