More suspension travel on 2003

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JoshA77

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hows it goin everyone,

I just lifted my 03 xlt and its pretty stuffed with 35s. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on how I could possibly get more travel out of the suspension, as I want to be able to do decent offroading and camping with it.

IMG_1492_zpseztw8v7u.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

scoot0073

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You could drop the front upper control arms 2 to 3 inches and drop the lower control arms the same amount.Then you might have to extend your steering tie rod end. The rear pretty much the same concept.

Or do a F150 conversion in the front and same as above for the rear.

There is a thread on here somewhere that someone created on doing the F-150 front swap ..

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

scoot0073

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Installing the lift kit in the strut towers pretty much ate up the factory travel.

So the only way to get it back is to do something similar as above then you would gain some if not all travel back.

I'm working on getting my gears bought and installed in the front and rear axles to get back the power I lost when I went with 35's.
After that is done then I'm going to tackle the suspension to get more lift and gain my travel back.
Good luck brother

ryno_rx8

Reaction score
I just stuffed some 35's under mine and its at stock height. I have a 3/2 lift ordered but i figured it would look a little taller than yours. Of course i am on stock wheels instead of aftermarket.

OP
OP
JoshA77

JoshA77

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just stuffed some 35's under mine and its at stock height. I have a 3/2 lift ordered but i figured it would look a little taller than yours. Of course i am on stock wheels instead of aftermarket.

35s on stock height? How much cutting did you have to do? I still rub with a 3.5" lift.

scoot0073

Full Access Members
Reaction score
There's no way you are at stock height with 35"s
35's are like 3 to 4 inches taller than my stock tires.
And wheels have nothing to do with height.

ryno_rx8

Reaction score
35s on stock height? How much cutting did you have to do? I still rub with a 3.5" lift.

I had to trim a little of the front bottom of the bumper. and some of the inner lining. If i can remember how to post a pic, i'll show ya.

ryno_rx8

Reaction score
There's no way you are at stock height with 35"s
35's are like 3 to 4 inches taller than my stock tires.
And wheels have nothing to do with height.

100% stock. and a wider wheel would possibly make the foot print of the tire wider. I would think even though you have a 35x12.50 on a 10" it would be wider and and shorter than the same tire on a 8" wheel. But i may be wrong.