MPG

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Anybody that says they don't care about mpg on a truck this big is a liar, if you didn't care about mpg then in reality money is not an object to you and if that's really the case then you'd be driving a 300k range rover not a ford of all things

Disagree. These trucks are 25%-50% less fuel efficient than the national average (which is 25.5)...and I am willing to pay that premium. The difference between a 10mpg vehicle and a 30mpg vehicle is likely only about $100-$150 per month depending on how much you drive. That’s not a lot, relatively speaking. It’s not like most vehicles are getting 500mpg.

I will grant you that there is a point at which I would not drive a vehicle because it’s gas mileage was too bad. But that argument is academic until there are viable options available to replicate the size, power, and range of vehicles like the Expedition (or Tahoe or whatever). Until those options are available, no, I really don’t care what the gas mileage is.

edizzle

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Anybody that says they don't care about mpg on a truck this big is a liar, if you didn't care about mpg then in reality money is not an object to you and if that's really the case then you'd be driving a 300k range rover not a ford of all things
people who drive range rovers dont drive $300k range rovers!

topped out with every option including the $14,000 paint job is $225,000. the average range rover you see on the street is in the $100,000-120,000 range. that was well within what we could have paid for a vehicle. id pick the ford all day long. we wanted the space, the roomy cabin. the rover cant compete. when we dont need the room and i can treat a vehicle better, i would absolutely consider a range rover. ive always loved their styling and the later models are just luxe. dependability hasnt always been a strong point but but i think recently it has been better.

OP
OP
P

Pop302

Reaction score
Everyone opting for a car this size is willing to sacrifice gas mileage. But when cross-shopping between comparable vehicles, fuel efficiency can contribute to the final decision.

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I would suggest to the owners of the '18 to leave one of the (3) "mileage odometers" alone and never reset it. That way, you will have and honest-to-God record of your average mileage.

I did this and it's been hovering on 17.9 for 20K now but began around 16 as I remember......I want to see a comparison to an '18 based on apples-to-apples....so have any of you done this?

This would be the best comparison we can get I think...

FWIW: my 46 mile ea way commute incl 24 redlights & 75mph driving

jeff

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I reset my trip computer but not the life avg of the car. I got it at 6 mi., life avg was 9mpg, after 4500 mi, life avg is now btw 17-18mpg(17.7). Fwiw, my combined is supposed to be 22mpg, most trips i barely avg that on the hwy. Dont know what kind of magic ford was doing to get them epa numbers. I would like a bigger tank like my nav, but i def see the improved fe, less $ at the pump, far less fill ups during day to day commutes

hunter991

Reaction score
Everyone opting for a car this size is willing to sacrifice gas mileage. But when cross-shopping between comparable vehicles, fuel efficiency can contribute to the final decision.

This is exactly correct. I know my full size SUV isnt' going to be good on gas. But when i compared my 17 tahoe to the expy (which is what i wanted), MPG did become a concern. I get 24 on the hwy with my Tahoe. That's about 4 mpg more than the expy. I use my SUV to drive to my cabin on weekends so its 265 miles one way on the highway. MPG does add up. It may not be alot in the end but enough to weigh into my decision.

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I reset my trip computer but not the life avg of the car. I got it at 6 mi., life avg was 9mpg, after 4500 mi, life avg is now btw 17-18mpg(17.7). Fwiw, my combined is supposed to be 22mpg, most trips i barely avg that on the hwy. Dont know what kind of magic ford was doing to get them epa numbers. I would like a bigger tank like my nav, but i def see the improved fe, less $ at the pump, far less fill ups during day to day commutes

Thanks for posting DL....that " life avg is now btw 17-18mpg(17.7) will most certainly go up...I also seem to remember a mileage "jump" at 12-15K. I know that yours is the Gen 2 engine, so we should expect higher numbers than from a '17.... all other things being equal...which they will never be but we can try to get them close.

jeff

OP
OP
P

Pop302

Reaction score
This is exactly correct. I know my full size SUV isnt' going to be good on gas. But when i compared my 17 tahoe to the expy (which is what i wanted), MPG did become a concern. I get 24 on the hwy with my Tahoe. That's about 4 mpg more than the expy. I use my SUV to drive to my cabin on weekends so its 265 miles one way on the highway. MPG does add up. It may not be alot in the end but enough to weigh into my decision.

I’m looking at the qx80 vs expedition. Folks that have that car are reporting 14 mpg combined in the real world. If I were to go that route I could expect to pay at least $1800 more over the term of the lease than an expi (assuming an average for the ford is 18). That will play a decision when it’s time to pull the trigger

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score

It is entirely to match and exceed 24 mpg on the hwy. It does come easier with the gms especially at higher spds(my dads 6.2l does about 23 easy with the v4 cutting in) as when the boost kicks in, fe drops considerably. But as stated 65 with cruise ctrl on and noone around, i avg a cool 26 mpg.