Multiple Electrical Issues (GEM??)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NeverBRich

Reaction score
First off I am sorry if this is posted somewhere else. Been reading for hours on here in the last couple of weeks, to no avail.

So, the History. Bought a 1997 expy EB 5.4L around 5 yrs ago. I drove it for 2 yrs, It got an Exhaust leak, Manifold stud, etc etc. around same time rear controls for heater/AC stop working, as well as the factory radio. So I parked it outside for a year. then moved it inside for the last 2 yrs. Finally Saved a couple of dollars, ordered exhaust manifolds. Put everything back on. Fired it up. First click of key and it started. on to Rear Control panel/Actuator/blower.

Opened door all interior lights started flashing, started the truck they stopped. Power Locks, power Windows, radio and rear heat/AC now not working and I have flashing Interior lights to boot.

All symptoms except the flashing lights remain when started.

I have checked all the fuses, diodes, and relays, test light, Multi-meter, and battery.

Running out of Ideas.

Read somewhere that it could be the GEM. Also read on here to Stop attacking the fuse/GEM and tackle the individual problems.

Any guidance, schematics, suggestions would be appreciated.

forgot yes I do live above the 49th parallel so Snow, Rust, rain, and salt is all here.

(P.S. wife is threatening to send a shotgun shell and throw a match into it. I really like the Beast. Would hate to see it go up in flames)

Last edited:

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Welcome to the site.

One main indication of issues with the GEM is a wet driver side floorboard or fuse box. What is the status of yours?

OP
OP
NeverBRich

NeverBRich

Reaction score
The floorboard appears dry, carpet has no stains, the fuses and connectors appear fine, as in no corrosion or rust.

OP
OP
NeverBRich

NeverBRich

Reaction score
OK upon testing all the LT Blue/Red I am getting a ground reading on all of them, According to the Schematic they should be live. So this Points in the direction of a bad Ground(s) or a short.

Any ideas on where to start hunting. all the obvious grounds(aka Blk wires are testing ground as well)

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Depends on how you tested them. They do have a path to ground through each bulb.
Shorts on this circuit will usually blow fuses.

First step is to read source voltage at the battery posts (not clamps).

OP
OP
NeverBRich

NeverBRich

Reaction score
By unplugging the plugs and back probing the plugs. Tested it with 2 types of test lights, one that is powered and shows ground or pos, and with the older version that has to be connected to either ground, or a Pos. I will Test it with the Multi-meter tomorrow

OP
OP
NeverBRich

NeverBRich

Reaction score
Ok so Voltages.

Battery -------- 11.8v

Power Dis.t Box fuse 7 --- 11.7v
Tan/white Wire at Main Light Sw. ---11.7v
Blk./red at main light switch ---- 0v
junction fuse box fuse 18 ---- 4.6v
Dark blue/white ------- 4.6v

light blue/red

LF window --- 3.8v
LF door lock --- 3.2v
RT window --- 3.8v
RT door lock --- 3.2v
RT rear window --- 3.8v
LF rear window --- 3.8v
4wd mode switch --- 4.1v
function select sw. --- 7.3v
instrument panel --- 8v
rear control panel --- 0v checked with a live and got 7.3v so it is reading as a ground
rear defrost --- 0v " " "
LF rear vent Works
RT rear vent Works
front Blower Works
Rear Blower --- 0v (does not work) " " " "

Radio-----radio lights up, cd plays, no radio signal.

Anything else that you could lead me to test?
Or point me in a direction to check?

thanks for your time and help.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
One thing I hammer into our students is always check your source voltage before troubleshooting an electrical problem so that you know the state of charge of the battery bank to avoid chasing g your tail. In your case the system voltage is way too low:

Open Circuit Voltage at the battery
100% = 12.6v
75% = 12.4v
50% = 12.2v
25% = 12.0v
dead =11.8 and lower

Your reading of 11.8v means the electrolyte activity is so low the battery can't do very much other than run some light electrical loads. If you have a battery charger I would charge it back to 100% then start troubleshooting.

Are all lights pulsing or just specific sets?

Last edited: