Murray/O Reilly compressors just junk?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

shadow460

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have put two Murray compressors on my 98 Expedition last summer. The first was rebuilt and bad straight out if the box. It refused to develop high pressure or any kind of suction; in residential AC terms this is called "inefficient compressor". I changed it last June, this time springing for a new Murray one from O'Reilly. Last Monday it was 60 degrees out so I put a new water pump on thr truck. I noticed then the compressor was running constant and it was comfortable in the truck. I was actually impressed by that. I'd half expected it would leak a bit and the compressor would cycle in that weather.
An hour ago I filled up and checked fluids and checked the water pump for leaks. That's fine but that eight month old AC compressor is leaking oil--already!
It actually struggled a little in the hottest months last summer but if I closed off some vents like I've done before it would get to about 60 degrers at the vents that were open.
I wonder if anyone else has consistent trouble with parts house compressors. Should I just buy the Motorcraft one and be done with it?

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Rebuilt compressors are a waste of money. I haven't had any issue with Four Seasons, Sanden or Denson.

Did you check - add pag oil then spin the compressor by hand first to lube the front seal?

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

shadow460

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yes on both but I can't tell you exactly how much PAG oil I put it. I can tell you it was quite a bit. I usually assume there is between 0 and 3 ounces of oil in the system and I add enough to fill it up.
Residential ACs don't care if you overfill the crankcase a bit. That might explain the leak though. It's 20 degrees out and if the seal shrunk from the cold it may leak oil if it's overfilled.
That's a long shot, though.
I'd planned to evac and charge all three trucks this spring anyway to make sure the gas level is right before summer.